Usenet allowed from work?

Wardialers could be defeated by sending ATS0=0 to the modem, so the modem would not be answer the call, if it was hit with a wardialer. And beware that wardialers have been ILLEGAL in many countries, for well over 20 years. Such tools were outlawed after the movie WarGames came out. That movie really scared a lot of people enough where many jurisdictions were outlawing wardialers. If your company was using wardialers, you were probably committing a crime for merely POSSESSING such a program. If you still have such tools, you better erase them from the hard disks, and then obliterate them with Evidence Eliminator, since you may be committing a crime possessing such tools.

Reply to
Chlly8
Loading thread data ...

Again, you fail to see, the outbound connection, even local, is a cost to many companies, and was certainly a cost, even if a local call.

And the call still shows up in the records at the switch, so the company knows what number from, what number too, and how long you were screwing around.

But, you seem to miss that ANY outbound call, even a local call, is a cost to the company in many of those systems and the "Calling Card" can't be used to pay for local calls.

And the company call logs would show the inbound call to his desk from an outside line - simple stuff.

Again, you know so very little about calling and security. The inbound call, even if you called him, was logged and stands out like a red flag in a sea of white.

Yes, there is, as even a company with 1000 internal numbers only has a set number of in/out bound lines to actually use at any given time. This means that for 73 minutes you tied up a important line that could have been used for Business instead of playing. So, since you don't really know anything about communications, you could have cost the company business or a busy signal.

Again, you just don't seem to understand the real cost of anything. Your methods are unethical, your practices are unethical, your listeners, if doing this from work, are unethical, it's that simple and it's very easy to track and spot.

Reply to
Leythos

However, Skype obfuscates the caller ID data, where it will show either "000-012-3456", or "unknown" in the call log, depending on the caller ID device used. They may show something in the caller-ID log, but it will not give any information on where the call came from.

I have been doing an online talk show for over a decade, actually, ever since the ability came out with Windows 95c and MS-DUN

1.3 to use two modems and two phones to get 100K connection speed (LONG before broadband became common). One aunt of mine, before she retired, would sometimes gab with me on my show. Even though it cost me a lot in those days , I would call her desk directly, and her boss had NO CLUE as to what she was up to, because I was calling her, and caller-id did not work worldwide, if the caller was from outside the local area, the caller ID showed the caller as being unknown, so she would gab with me on my show for up to 30 minutes at a time, and her boss never got wise to what she was up to.

I am NOT unethical. There is NOTHING unethical about my radio broadcasts, nor is their anything unethical about people listening from work.

Internet radio how I make my LIVING. I have been in the business for a long time, and I dont let anyone mess with my livelihood without taking every countermeasure humanly possible. It is NOT unethical to protect my business intereststs and my livelihood from corporate attempts to block me, as much as I can. You dont seem to understand that for people like me, Internet radio is what puts food on the table for a lot of people. A lot of us have employees, with FAMILIES. Blocking Internet radio, or any online service HURTS WORKING FAMILIES in the long run, who depend on the income these online businesses make, and the paychecks they generate. When their services are blocked, it costs them money, which is why I advocate using every way that is humanly possible to evade blocking and monitoring. I consider blocking/filtering of ANY site that is LEGAL, to be detrimental to working families, and all possible countermeasures should be taken against it, which is what I do, and what I advocate all online businesses do.

Reply to
Chlly8

No matter how many ways you tell your lie, the user, person listening, can easily be spotted, tracked, found, and no proxy or faked caller ID is going to stop that.

And you consider that someone being paid to work, gabbing with you while working, is not unethical and that you knowing it means that you're not unethical?

You have clearly said that you provide information on how subvert company policy and measures, that you support callers abusing company time and network resources, that you even call them back to make them think the business can't tell they are screwing their company - we'll that's unethical in all manners.

No, you consider making money by any means to be ethical, helping people break company policy to be ethical, helping people steal money from their company to be ethical, helping people decrease productivity of the company to be ethical.....

Many people with morals and good ethics have businesses that don't have a base that requires their customers to screw their employers, but you don't fit that.

Reply to
Leythos

"Leythos" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@adfree.Usenet.com...

Back in the '90s, the technology did not exist to tell when somoene was gabbing with me on my talk show. As long as I called her, and nothing appeared on the company telephone bill, there was no harm done to the company, in my opinion.

I dont care where they call from. I will not refuse a caller, regardless of whether they are coming from home, work, or otherwise. If they PM me in the chatroom I run, giving me their number, I will not refuse them. I will not refuse a caller, just becuase they are work.

Hey, the call is on MY dime, and it not costing the company anything, so I dont see any harm in it.

It is NOT stealing to listen to my radio station, or any other web radio station. I dont consider it stealing to listen to any LEGAL radio broadcast, either on the air or online.

In the online sports coverage industry, at one competitor, Figure Skating Universe, I have often heard about all kinds of ways get onto the board, without the boss knowing about it. The boss does not know that someone is following major figure skating events in the :"play-by-play" threads or "PBP" for short. There are some pretty die-hard skating fans determined to follow their favourite skaters, and they dont care how they do it. They use every possible method to get on, including proxies, anonymity services, and I even heard of one

Some people are very appreciative of what I do. Last February, during the four contiennts competition, there was pairs skater that suffered a pretty severe injury when her partner's blade slashed her face when she got a little close, and one VERY good friend of hers was very appreciate of me helping her follow the news of what was going on, without her boss knowing about it. I just simply gave her access to the proxy on my network, which is encrypted. All she had to do was download a small client program, to a floppy disk, then run that, and sign on to my proxy, and then surf to my Live 365 broadcast, as well as Figure Skating Universe and GoldenSkate. That is no POSSIBLE way the admins at her workplace would know what was up to, becuase the connection to the proxy on my network was encrypted. I saw a request on Figure Skating Universe for SOME way to get to to news about it from work,. without the boss knowing, and was more than happy to help her in this situation, and she was very appreciative. In a situation like THAT, what I was doing was NOT unethical. I created a login and password, and sent that to her in a PM, complete with directions on how to reconfigure the browser settings, as well as sending her a copy of the small client program (which is small enough to be run from a floppy), to get on. You first reconfigure the proxy settings in the browser, and then start the client program, and enter your login and password, then surf the web, just as you would normally.

Reply to
Chlly8

What about a more liberal approach -- I've worked for/with several companies and netradio was not seen as a problem; actually I remember one company that specifically promoted it even though the netops (or myself in a couple of cases!) couldn't be bothered setting it up properly. In the end only a tiny few have the know-how so the idea that 100s of employees are gonna sit there all day listening to radio is unlikely. Plus the fact that you're still expected to be able to fulfill your primary duties - whether you're listening to FM radio/Net Radio/somebody gossipping at the next desk. Fail on that and you're out anyway.

It all comes back to a bit of trust on both sides.. and since personal internet use is easy to monitor and measure compared with most other office activities there shouldn't be a problem. If it really becomes a bandwidth issue let the individuals concerned pay for the extra bandwidth or place sensible restrictions (Unilever EU allowed personal web access during lunch hours etc. - at least for general IT staff).

Reply to
Jamin Davis

And that can be taken care of in a session with Evidence Eliminator. The event logs are one thing these programs obliterate. Then you have no proof of anything if the event logs are not there.

Reply to
Chlly8

Authorized security personnel wardialing the company's -own- phone lines wasn't made illegal anywhere that I -know of-.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

The sub-department that I work for hasn't had a need to control down to that fine of a level, but some of the other sub-departments of the organization could lay down some pretty severe legal charges for any employee or contractor who did what you are talking about. Violation of the Official Secrets Acts. Espionage. Endangering National Security.

I can't tell you the role that the department I work for plays in national security, because I'm not authorized to know that information. I found out about -some- of the secret programs in the official public histories, just like everyone else.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Merely POSESSING such tools, REGARDLESS of the purpose, is illegal in many jurisdictions.

Reply to
Chlly8

Citations?

The closest I can find is something for Colorado Springs.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

I've been watching this thread and watching you struggle to come up with scenarios that would work for people to circumvent security policies.

Now you're advocating using uncleared and unchecked IT hardware in the corporate environment. I have had users who felt OUR policy of NOT allowing THEIR computers into the workplace didn't apply to them. You know, it only takes having a couple of users have their laptops confiscated by my security team, to get the message across.

Did I mention mobile phones are banned within our environment?

You have also advocated installing unapproved software onto corporate networks in order to overwrite logs? Jesus! You'll get my users either

1. Sacked or 2. Imprisoned. I'm not joking. (I'm not based in the US)

You are a liability. You are not operating in your customers best interests, you are operating in your own interests. You are exhibiting more and more unethical advice; advice that could land your customers in SERIOUS trouble.

Anyone connecting any hardware device to my networks, ie. modem, would discover: A. It doesn't work. B. An alert is sent to the security team. C. Disciplinary action (including potentially dismissal or legal action).

Yes, we have a more secure environment than most, and for good reason. That does not mean that another corporate environment would not insist on similar rules - there are good reasons for all our policies, whether YOU agree with them or not.

Bogwitch.

Reply to
Bogwitch

I wouldn't feel comfortable not knowing what my work is (ab)used for. Strange situation.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

On what charge? As far as I know, Evidence Eliminator is not yet illegal in the U.K. (though they have tried to ban it). Even if they could be prosecuted, they could simply avoid prosecution by leaving the U.K. and never coming back. I am assuming you are in the U.K., becuase your IP says you are in the U.K. Or are you in another ISP elsewhere that makes it appear you are in the U.K, because your upstream service comes form there?

Reply to
Chlly8

Germany: "Strafrechtsänderungsgesetz zur Bekämpfung der Computerkriminalität, neuer § 202 StGB".

Yes, we tried to fight that, without any success. Yes, there was a hearing of experts, and NOT A SINGLE EXPERT supported this idea.

They made a law out of it in spite of all facts :-(

That's the reason, why you can see a meadow on the homepage of the CCC now:

formatting link

It's the meadow that the Internet is right now, since all attack tools are forbidden, so no attacker can use one any more ;-)

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

BS, EE will clear the logs showing that someone has been trying to hide something. In most corp environments users don't have permission to clear the logs, any tampering with the logs would be a clear sign of unethical activity, not to mention that most users are not permitted to install software...

Try again, exposed, found, easy to spot - still makes you unethical for helping with violating company policy, abuse of network resources...

Reply to
Leythos

Do you really think that any rational person is going to go to these extremes to just listen to some crappy broadcast and give up their earning and legal status?

Face it, you've exposed yourself as an unethical hack that shows people how to violate company policy and subvert network access, but all of the things you've suggested are very easy to detect and you keep making excuses - face it, you're just an ingorant, unethical, two-bit, hack wanna-be, that can't seem to learn and is only concerned with screwing people to make money.

Reply to
Leythos

Empty logs are also a HUGE alarm sign!Somebody got fired because of empty logs! The logs in the firewall pointed to stuff he should never have looked at!

Reply to
God Rudy

Oh lordy, by advocating that piece of useless scamware you've just demonstrated your complete lack of clue on the topic.

Reply to
Greg Hennessy

Well, I know what -my- work is used for (nothing secret about it at all), but the organization I work for is country-wide and has a variety of sections, some of whom are probably engaged in secret work in fields completely different than mine. The same sort of thing happens in many organizations when they grow big enough to take on military contracts: if you aren't in a "need to know" position, you don't even find out that the military work is being done.

My statement might perhaps be clearer if I indicate that I used "department" in a technical sense: the entire organization I work for is considered a single department of the government, in the same way that "The Department of Agriculture" is a single "department". There are a lot of subdivisions within the department, some of whom do vastly different work that I do.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.