Usenet allowed from work?

Well, like I said , with indepdent webcasters, not under the umbrella of the large streaming services, shutting down, people are looking for alternatives. The fact that talk and sports stations, like mine, play music when not airing any talk or sports programming, are bringing in more listeners. The total listening hours of my music programming are going through the roof, and people are circumventing the filteringof Live 365 by the major filtering providers. Putup all the blocks you want to Live

365, but users will find a way around them. And withone program I now using, I can deliver 16K MP3Pro stereo, which provides incredible sound quality for such a low bitrate feed.

The low bitrate also allows people to listen from work without advertising what they are bloody doing, like a neon sign. Your average listener would only use a few megabytes a day, hardly enough to arouse suspicion.

Since I began broadcasting in 16K MP3Pro, that has also increased my listenership, as people can listen fromwork, to my low-bitrate high quality feed, and not stand out in the logs

As I am writing this, I have a number of corporate networks in Asia, connecting to me right now, as it is the workday there.

Reply to
Chilly8
Loading thread data ...

And, again, you show that you don't understand how detection works. It's quite simple to detect, in fact, your connection would stand out like a glaring red flag in a see of connections.

Reply to
Leythos

Not if its low bitrate does not use much bandwidth. If it does not use an excessive amount of bandwidth, it will not draw suspicion.

Plus, I traced whree that open proxy is. It is at an exclusive luxury apartment complex in Al-Butayn, Saudi Arabia, where high speed net access is included in the rent. You would know a connection was being made to a residential broadband connection at this apartment house, but you would not know what they were doing otherwise.

Reply to
Chilly8

Again, it's not the rate, it's the connection, and it will stand out like a big sign. It's that simple, you clearly don't understand security so you think that this is hard to detect, it's not, it's simple, and we block at easily at all customers by default.

Reply to
Leythos

Howevr, as the saying goes "Where there is a will, there is a way", which I have been seeing increased traffic from open proxies and anomymity services, as people circumvent whatever measures their network admin has taken to block it. With the increased listenership today alone, I will be very interesting in the geographical statistics, which are sent out daily at 10AM California time. That should prove some very interesting reading.

Reply to
Chilly8

Howevr, as the saying goes "Where there is a will, there is a way", which I have been seeing increased traffic from open proxies and anomymity services, as people circumvent whatever measures their network admin has taken to block it. With the increased listenership today alone, I will be very interesting in the geographical statistics, which are sent out daily at 10AM California time. That should prove some very interesting reading.

Reply to
Chilly8

Not if I use one service, which I may go to when my Live 365 contract expires next year. This techies there have specifically tailored their feeds as to not be as detectable as a Live 365 feed. This is becuase they use port 80, so the traffic to broadcasters on the service I am looking it, will just blend in with all the other port 80 traffic, and will not be noticed, if I continue to use a low bitrate feed.

Reply to
Chilly8

Listen, port anything (even 80) can easily be detected based on the type of connection you have/use, so, like it or not, even at .0001kbps data rate, your connection will be clearly visible, easy to spot, and will be blocked. You don't understand security and how to spot these things, you are being given a line of BS by people that want to sell you service. Your type of service is the easiest to spot and block, it's really that simple.

Your service, even on port 80, does not "Blend" in with all the other port 80 traffic.

Reply to
Leythos

And it is indeeed. In the past 24 hours I have had connections from corporate networks all over the place. It appears that my music programme is becoming a very popular at-work station, and is growing in popularity..

I am getting connections from many a wide variety of companies and industries with people listening to me.

Reply to
Chlly8

Good for you. Don't believe the hype - interesting that your radio streaming is considered "unethical"! Hardly -- I've worked for many firms who couldn't care less - self-regulation works fine. Carry on ;^)

Reply to
Jamin Davis

Leythos,

Whilst you're quite right that any good security department will block this type of service, both administratively and technically, there are still many, many companies that do not even have a security department.

My main question however is this: Why do you keep replying to this muppet? He's just massaging his own ego.

Me Now.

Reply to
Me Now

Yea, I know he's just a troll, but I was bored when I replied.

Reply to
Leythos

Thanks guy. Finally, someone that agrees with me that listening to Internet radio from work is NOT unethical. I dont care WHAT the others say. It is NOT unethical to listen to any LEGAL online radio broadcast on the Net, contrary to what some people might say.

Reply to
Chlly8

Doing anything that violates company policy is unethical, period. Most companies have a policy that states that using company resources for personal use is restricted - that would include listening to internet programs.

So, are you saying that violating company policy is ethical?

Reply to
Leythos

I see nothing wrong with listening to Internet radio at work. And I see nothing wrong with posting information on my web site on how to circumvent most filtering systems that block it.

As long as you are not doing anything illegal, I dont see any problem. I am seeing connectivity from one office network in Denmark, where I had 3 streams going at once the other day, and I just examined the geographical report now, with 3 streams that clocked in total of 26 total listening hours (TLH), just from that one office network alone. At that company, my station must be very popular there.

My music programme is becoming very popular to listen to at work, given the increasing number of corporate networks my stream is being served to. I am seeing numerous corporate networks in Spain, Australia, Japan, Norway, Israel,. Sweden, Denmark, Canada, and the U.S. connecting to my stream.

As the owner and operator of an internet radio station, I'm against any company policy that bans streaming. And I am very supportive of any users that circumvents such bans, which is why I keep my bitrate low enough that it will work with Tor.

Reply to
Chlly8

So, you believe that employees should violate company policy, abuse company resources, and that you believe it's ethical to help them do it

- that clearly explains a lot about you.

Reply to
Leythos

Listening to online radio is NOT abusing company resources. The 16K feed I run could hardly be considered to be abusing company resources, and not that much of an impact on the company network.

And there are companies who BUSINESS it is to help people circumvent filtering systems. The only differcence between them and me, is that I provide the information for free. With all the sites that provide facilities and/or information on how to circumvent filtering systems, and its all LEGAL. Since I am not doing anything illegal just providing information, I dont see anything unethical about it.

Internet radio is my BREAD AND BUTTER, so it is in the best interest of my LIVELIHOOD to help people do everything POSSIBLE to circumvent filtering and/or evade detection.

Reply to
Chlly8

10 people listening to it turn it into 160k of stream. 100 people listening to it would be 1600k.

A lot of companies have a 2Mbit line to the Internet, or even less... you see the problem?

Juergen Nieveler

Reply to
Juergen Nieveler

I can see now that you have no ethics and believe that your way, because you have invested in it, is the only way that matters to you - you've proven that you are a unethical person by your own statements.

Abuse of company resources means that you are using them in some manner that the company has determined that you should not be using them. Most companies would never approve their network users listening to internet radio and most responsible companies already have a policy that prohibits it if not also a network security measure that prevents it.

So you try and justify your abuse of company policy and resources by saying that "he did it"....

I didn't say you were doing anything Illegal I said you are unethical.

And yet you seem to believe that you are Ethical in helping people break company policy, abusing network resources. What's funnier is that you don't understand how very simple it is to spot your traffic on ANY network, and while you've been told, you seem to want make readers of this group believe it's not easy to detect, which, would be another unethical hack on your part - since it's clearly easy to detect.

Reply to
Leythos

They they should upgrade their connections to a and get more bandwdith. In many countries there is DSL to 6 megabuts, and there will be 15 megs (or more) when all the phone companies in America begin using FIOS.

If the the boss wants to be a tightwad and only purchase a 2 meg connection to the net, thats his problem, when higher bandwidth connections, from both DSL and cable, are available, at resonable prices. The solution to bandwidth problems is to simply purchase more bandwidth.

Reply to
Chlly8

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.