Sygate PF and Webupdates

Hello, Like many people, I use the Ad-Aware 1.5 malware scanner. However, its WebUpdate feature seems not to work well with my Sygate Personal Firewall (v. 5.6), and I have to shut the firewall down to be able to connect to the Lavasoft website. Not good.

Is there an Advanced rule in SPF's Options that will solve this problem? I have Ad-Aware SE Core component set to 'Allowed'.

Reply to
Iceman
Loading thread data ...

Hi Iceman. I'm running Sygate v5.5 and AdAware SE build 1.05. I have an Application Rule-Advanced rule set to allow AdAware (adaware.exe) to connect to remote port 80. This rule is set to allow AdAware to act as a client and not as a server. AdAware update feature works just fine. Sygate v5.6 can probably be setup the same way. Casey

Reply to
Casey

P.s. There should be no Advanced Rule(s) that would block remote port 80 or would prevent AdAware from connecting to remote port 80. (Advanced Rules take precidence over Application Rules)

Reply to
Casey

Thanks, Casey. I have applied the rule, and now I just have to wait for the next Ad-Aware update to see if it works.

BTW. Firewalls can do strange things. I also have Belarc Advisor on my computer, which is not an Internet program, although it utilizes Internet Explorer as a viewer. It would never open on the Desktop, until by chance I shut down my firewall and then, suddenly, Belarc popped up. I had no idea it was the firewall blocking it, but that seems to have been the case.

Reply to
Iceman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.