Sygate 5.6.2808 vs Win98 SE

59cobalt wrote:

At home. on the LAN, I have to connect to my desktop to either download things I need to take with me, or to upload files I have created on the portable on my travels. This requires me to enable shared access to certain Folders on my portable. (I guess I can disable this every time I disconnect from the LAN)

Sorry. I must have pressed 'Reply-all' instead of 'Reply'

Reply to
occam
Loading thread data ...

To make sure I understood you correctly: you have a desktop computer at home and a portable computer you take with you. When being someplace outside your home you want to establish a connection from your portable to your desktop computer to up- or download files. Is that correct?

Is your desktop computer directly connected to the Internet, or is it behind a router? What operating system is running on it? Would using SSH be an option for file access? There are very nice GUI-SSH-clients for Windows.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Don't be sorry. His post was set up in such a way that "Reply to newsgroup" (or something similar) was sent to his e-mail address.

Notan

Reply to
Notan

I synchronise mainly when I am at base (not remotely).

Desktop (XP Pro) is behind a (wi-fi) router, the built in firewall functions of which I do *not* trust. What is SHH? My main concern is portable safety when away from base, while browsing / emailing.

Reply to
occam

formatting link
Notan

Reply to
Notan

Mainly or always? Please be precise when describing the situation. It helps with finding a solution for your problem.

So you are never connecting to your home machine from remote, correct?

SSH (Secure Shell [1]) is a protocol for secure remote (shell-)access to a computer, that can also be used for e.g. transferring files. However, since you are not making remote connections it's probably not what you want.

In that case the free version of Kerio [2] may be an option for you. I haven't had a look at it after it was taken over by Sunbelt, but at the time it was one of the least painful personal firewalls (especially since you only need its packet filter), and Sunbelt probably hasn't changed that much.

Aside from that: why don't you trust the firewall functions of your router? And why do you use a router you don't trust instead of one you trust?

[1]
formatting link
formatting link
cu 59cobalt
Reply to

I see the latest Kerio (v4) does not run on Win98. But oldversion.com should fix that. Thanks for the pointer.

Its made in Belgium, that is why :-). (I bought it for its wi-fi facility, not for its firewall features.)

Reply to
occam

It might be my old program, but when I select to post a follow-up message to any of your messages I get a warning that 'poster has requested that replies be sent as e-mail messages'.

Geo

Reply to
"GEO" Me

No, it's not your Forte Agent. I had set "Followup-To: poster" (f'up2p) in MID as well as in the message you just replied to. This header tells your newsreader that I requested that a reply should be mailed to me rather than posted to the group (and I usually set it when I believe that any further discussion of a topic should be done in private rather than in public). However, any good newsreader will allow you to choose whether you want to accept or ignore this request.

In MID I had not set a Followup-To, though. occam had just mistakenly hit "reply-all" instead of "reply", so his message got posted to the group as well as mailed to me.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.