Stolen IP Address

House was broken in Saturday and monitor was stolen. The IP address was labeled on the monitor. I am worried if the bad guy could ever use that IP address hack my system or/and do something bad? I do not know much about networking. Cable company said I would be fine if I have firewall. I have Norton Internet Security. Is my computer really secured this way? Well, I still have a question mark because too many many popups still come (even installed a popup blocker yesterday...)

How should I know if my system is ok (after the IP was stolen)? What should I do to make it secured?

Thank you all, Ching

Reply to
Academic Q
Loading thread data ...

In article , Academic Q wrote: :House was broken in Saturday and monitor was stolen. The IP address :was labeled on the monitor. I am worried if the bad guy could ever use :that IP address hack my system or/and do something bad?

*Every* web site you visit, and *every* other kind of internet service too, gets a copy of your IP address when you connect -- it's the only way the sites know how to get back to you. Unless you were using a proxy service before, you are essentially at no more risk today than you were before... you are just thinking about the risks differently now.

:I have Norton Internet Security. Is my computer really :secured this way?

I am not qualified to report on the respective strengths of various Windows firewalls, but I can say that you might find it interesting to read some anecdotal experience from snipped-for-privacy@mts.net

formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Thank you Walter! Thank you Jason! for all your professional comments

Reply to
Academic Q

Your IP address is sent to other people whenever you do anything with the Internet. You can't view any web pages unless the remote web site knows your IP address because otherwise the web site can't send the web page to your PC.

I prefer not to comment on Norton home user security products.

Well it's not really on topic for a firewall group but here are some of the things you can do to reduce or eliminate the popups. Visit

formatting link
and click the link labelled 'direct download'. Use that site to analyze the log and remove anything nasty. Anything flagged as unknown may also need to be removed but you may not find it easy to determine whether anything unknown is wanted or not. If you need further help use one of these forums
formatting link
Make sure that your virus scanner has downloaded the latest virus pattern updates.

Use a tool such as

formatting link
sure it's up to date and tell it to check for problems.

Make sure you have all critical updates from

formatting link

Don't worry about who knows your IP address.

See above for some of the things you can do. There are many others. Home Windows PCs are far more difficult to secure than they should be.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Edwards

I assume your IP address was 192.168.0.1??

Or something along those lines....

I'm assuming you have an internal network IP address, which means it is not accessible from the outside world.

Regards,

Ben

Reply to
bensmyth

Don't panic. I found it, looks like it was hiding in your header. Do try to take better care of it next time. Here you go;

NNTP-Posting-Host: 24.69.255.237

Reply to
Perseus

No worries. The most they can do is attack another site using your ip address as the source. This would lead them to think everything was coming from your system and someday you might get a knock on your door.

That would be possible, but I don't thik it'll happen that way.

Reply to
Robert

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.