Looking for "website filter" in a "software firewall"

I'm looking for a "filter" for Windows-XP so that i can only access two or three specific websites(domains). Is this available at a low price or do i have to get some other software/hardware?

The other option would be building my own router/firewall from a "old PC" and install OpenBSD with packetfilter and squid. We have a router appliance that work well for the US$40 we paid some years ago, but this thingy cannot filter websites. As usual the budget has to lower than nothing because: "they want to save money" :-(

Thanks in advance Rudy

Reply to
God Rudy
Loading thread data ...

You could disable DSN, or just not put a DNS entry in your network connection settings and then enter the website addresses in your HOST file, but this would also require you to enter the site addresses for your email system and any other non-website service you use - like your Antivirus software, Windows Updates, etc....

The host method is free.

Reply to
Leythos

:> I'm looking for a "filter" for Windows-XP so that i can only access two :> or three specific websites(domains).

:You could disable DSN, or just not put a DNS entry in your network :connection settings and then enter the website addresses in your HOST

But then people could connect if they knew the IP.

A different approach is to lock in a proxy configuration: proxy configurations for IE (and some other browsers) is just a bit of javascript that examines the destination and decides how to reach it. The code could allow through the desired locations and deny everything else (if necessary, by saying that the proxy server is 127.0.0.1.)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Ok, without looking, what's the IP of domains.yahoo.com, or MSN.com, or redhat.com....... Sure, they could get to a site if the already had the IP, but how many of us carry a list of sites/IP names?

Reply to
Leythos

|> :You could disable DSN

|> But then people could connect if they knew the IP.

|Ok, without looking, what's the IP of domains.yahoo.com, or MSN.com, or |redhat.com.......

I don't use any of those... though if I strained my memory a bit I could possibly come up with the MSN ones by thinking back to our firewall rulesets.

|Sure, they could get to a site if the already had the |IP, but how many of us carry a list of sites/IP names?

It only takes remembering one IP that one can telnet:// to or use as a proxy server.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

These are all you need: http://216.92.207.177/toolboxhttp://69.2.200.183/

Reply to
Chuck

Those addresses provide DNS resolution (and other) tools. And that's only a couple websites that I use - I'll bet there are a few more too. Check them out.

Reply to
Chuck

In case anyone was/is leery of clicking on "unknown" IP addresses:

= =

These sites are safe and legit. :o)

Reply to
dak

And without DNS settings/ability, now are they going to get other locations resolved unless the build a HOST file at home and bring it to work (or use it at home)?

If I looked at the logs (as most routers have them) and found constant hits on those addresses I would block them.....

Reply to
Leythos

Thanks for translating. I hate IP addressed URLs, almost as much as I hate SnipURL / TinyURL / etc. For cases where your DNS server isn't available, or isn't reliable (Cache Poisoned maybe), those ip addresses may be useful though.

Reply to
Chuck

Have you considered adding them to a HOSTS file or something like DNSKong? That way they would translate before going out to your ISP's DNS server(s) and you wouldn't have to worry about their reliability.

For HOSTS:

216.92.207.177 all-nettools.com 216.92.207.177
formatting link
69.2.200.183 dnsstuff.com 69.2.200.183
formatting link

For DNSKong Presets:

216.92.207.177 all-nettools.com 69.2.200.183 dnsstuff.com
Reply to
dak

Well, I just keep the ip addresses handy for emergencies, and usually on computers that I don't use a lot.

I was pointing out to Leythos that disabling DNS can be gotten around easily enough, just have to know a couple websites like these.

Reply to
Chuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.