Re: Completely replace software firewall with hardware firewall?

One thing I didn't notice (maybe I read the posts too fast, there are a lot on this subject), it the very FIRST thing to do is put in a VERY GOOD PASSWORD for the router. Don't leave the default password.

Here in the UK, I am on NTL cable and have just one PC attached. > > My head is spinning with all the configuration rules and exceptions > which need configuring for a software firewall. > > I thought I was doing ok with user guides like the section called: > "Personal firewall configuration for cable modems" >
formatting link
> But it turns out that things are still more complicated than that. > As an example, I installed Outpost and came across this advice page. >
formatting link
Oh wow. It's all too much! :-) I just want protection without > becoming an enthusiast or even expert in firewall configuration. > > QUESTION ONE: If I buy a hardware firewall then will it completely > replace the need for me to have a software firewall? That would save > me some headaches! > > QUESTION TWO: I might get a second PC and want to attach both PCs to > the cable network at the same time. I have heard I can do it with a > box which includes a hardware firewall as well as some other > functions. But exactly what sort of box is it that I would need? > Any suggestions about recommended hardware devices would be welcome. > > Sandi
Reply to
Sheila aka Pippie
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.