SP2 firewall supplement

If the main problem with the native XP SP2 firewall is that it doesn't monitor what's outgoing from the computer to the Internet, it would be nice if there were a mini-firewall program that supplemented the SP2 firewall with outgoing monitoring only. Or is there already such a program, and I just don't know about it ... or was this just a dumb question?

Ma No

Reply to
Ma No
Loading thread data ...

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 18:10:47 GMT, Ma No spoketh

The XP firewall along with IPSec filter can restrict incoming and outgoing traffic. However, it's purely packet filtering (at least outbound), so there's no application control...

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
Remove "bad" from my e-mail address to contact me. "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

The main problem is that once a malware is running on your machine, it can do what it wants, including disabling or bypassing any "personal firewall" you might be running.

So worrying about outbound protection is a waste of time - you should worry about not installing malware in the first place instead.

Juergen Nieveler

Reply to
Juergen Nieveler

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.