SOHO Watchguard.............dead network ports...............help.

Hi, I have a used SOHO WatchGuard and I am having problems. I first set it to factory defaults. When I connect a computer to any of the four network ports, nothing happens. I don't get any connection lights. When I connect the cable modem to the WAN port, it lights up. The mode light is constantly blinking... which I know is not good.

I would love to get some help from any of you SOHO experts. Thanx a bunch.

Reply to
Anonymous
Loading thread data ...

Anonymous wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Have you tried connecting a computer to the modem and seeing if it can connect to the Internet and the modem is not gone? Have you hard reset the modem? If the mode light is constantly blinking on the WG, then it may not even have a connection that's going to allow it to work.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

First, I have a couple dozen of the SOHO6tc units, so I might be able to help.

Set your computer to use DHCP so that it get's and address from the SOHO

Reset the SOHO to defaults, and then power it on. Connect your PC Ethernet cable to port 0, wait 60 seconds, you should show a LINK like for port 0 - if not, stop here.

At your computer, start, run, CMD + enter (get a dos box)

Inside the black dos box, type IPCONFIG /RELEASE (and hit enter) type IPCONFIG /RENEW (and hit enter)

If it doesn't give you and IP address then something else is wrong.

Did you reset the unit to defaults using the reset switch for 15 seconds while plugging in the power? Did you wait until the PWR light started blinking in a "stead pattern" so that you would know the reset was complete?

The default IP is 192.168.111.1, so you might have to setup a fixed IP on your computer and then browse to http://192.168.111.1 to get in.

Let me know if you need more help.

Reply to
Leythos

Hi, thanx for the great response. I was finally able to get one computer hooked up to the SOHO but my ultimate goal is to connect the SOHO to my 16port switch(SOHO has 25 license). After connecting the SOHO, I powered off the cable modem and the SOHO. Then I turn on the modem, then the SOHO but the port that's connected to the switch does not enable.

Reply to
Anonymous

You might need a cross-over cable between the SOHO and the switch if the switch does not do auto-mdi/mdix.

Reply to
Leythos

Lythos,

Thanx for the clue. That worked!!!!! If you read the manual, words do not say you need a crossover cable. But if you look at one diagram, in a very small print, it lists a crossover cable from the WG to the switch/hub. It works like a charm. Thanx a lot.

Reply to
Anonymous

It use to be common that when connecting two switches to each other that you always used a crossover cable. Then some companies created MDI/MDIX ports, then some went to auto-mdi/mdix (when it worked), and now it's common, but many routers and firewalls don't do it still.

Glad it's working for you - thanks for posting back your solution.

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.