Dead WRT54GL router?

All of a sudden the router stopped broadcasting. I went to the router and the Cisco light was light blue and blinking real fast. When I did the unplug/plug thing and the Cisco light went back to orange but the broadcast keeps going off and on and I can't make a connection. The router is only 1 month old and I NEVER installed third party software. Through all of this I can still connect to my neighbor's router. Any ideas?

Reply to
Mike
Loading thread data ...

I reset the router to factory defaults and reinstalled. When the router was right next to my computer the wireless connection was fine. When I put the router back in the living room (15 feet away) the connection is not listed in available networks anymore. But I can see all my neighbors networks and I can connect to the unsecured ones. Did the broadcasting mechanism in the router go bad?

Reply to
Mike

Since you're not seeing the SSID broadcasts from the router, it's a fair assumption that either the transmitter or the antenna(s) are bad. No way to tell which one without test equipment. Try doing something dumb, like swapping the two antennas.

There may be some manner of local interference on 2.4GHz, but the lack of an SSID broadcast, while other system are apparently being seen normally, makes this an unlikely possibility.

If you have a voltmeter, check the power supply ouput voltage. The WRT54GL uses a 12v 1A power supply, that should put out at least 12V. The WRT54GL will run on anything between 4VDC and perhaps 18VDC, but does some really strange things near the low end.

Kinda looks like something died in the router RF section.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

now I gotta call the Linksys hellhole customer service which is located in India and be on the phone with a dummy who can barely speak English..

*sigh*.. After 2 hours of going back and forth hopefully I will get an RMA

Reply to
Mike

I'm glad I never loaded the third party firmwares for this. It would have voided the warranty

Reply to
Mike

It's easy enough to reload the stock Linksys firmware. However, this works only for the WRT54G v5:

Otherwise, there are several methods outlined here:

All will work with the original WRt54G/GS/GL Linksys firmware.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

No, searching the web for how to deal with this would have be WAY beyond your comprehension level, right?

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Mike, I am not sure if there is another solution or not. before I'd call tech support (and I too have had to deal wit the 'indian connection') I would start hunting their website for tech support items related to this (such as updated "authorized" firmware that won't break your warrantee.

failing that, a good search through google for solutions might also be of help.

one last item, I have always found that if you ask to speak to a supervisor, preferably US based, that you might get faster action on your RMA. just a thought.

Reply to
Eric Oyen - N7ZZT

I finally got it to work without calling tech support. I reflashed the firmware to an older version then flashed it again to the current one. After the flashing it still didn't work so I reset the router then did a hard power cycle. Now it works perfect again but I don't think this router will live past the warranty. Guess I got a bad one. Since I never flashed a third party firmware I think doing so might put the nail in the coffin

Reply to
Mike

Still sounds like significant operator error problems.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

The interesting thing about your posts are that in every other one, you imply that replacement firmware (which you never installed) is flaky, or likely to cause failure or loss of warrantly, none of which are experiences of those who actually use them. It's odd and perhaps why you rated a bit of a snub from Bill. (Twas a bit harsh)

I doubt anybody cares if you use it or not, but it seems that you have a mistaken impression about how much more reliable the Linksys firmware is.

To the contrary ! From your solution, it seems to point out issues with the factory firmware....

If you are opposed to DD-WRT for some reason, check out Tomato. It's supposed to be simple and reliable.

Reply to
seaweedsl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.