simple firewall for windows that doesn't do invisible stuff

I'll give you that one. But it's still stopping network packets.

Other than a good AV, one needs to practice Safe Hex. And if one practices Safe Hex, then one doesn't need that other stuff. I have not used any of that other stuff in years or never.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold
Loading thread data ...

I gave the Win32 port of Qtfw a try the other day. It's useful to learn rule syntax with but since it appends the ipfw command to the beginning of each rule in the scripts it generates, I can't find much use for it. However, it might come in handy for getting a visual look at a more complex ruleset before deploying it.

Perhaps appending the ipfw command is how it's supposed to work under FreeBSD but it looks like whoever made the Windows port didn't test it out with the stable release of wipfw. Either way, it's a non-intuitive application and I wouldn't recommend it to novice users.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

Hum? This is how it's supposed to work. Anyway, if you don't like it, you can remove it in a post-processing step.

At any rate, you should always create your ruleset from a script and a database, f.e.

| for $i in (iana_reserved.txt); | echo ipfw add $rulenumber deny ip from any to $i xmit>>ipfw-load.sh; | echo ipfw add $rulenumber deny ip from $i to any recv>>ipfw-load.sh; | end;

Visual look on complex rules? That reminds me of FirewallBuilder and ShoreWall.

I wouldn't recommend any kind of packet filtering to novice users.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.