Windows XP firewall

The WinXP firewall allows for both programs and ports to be added to the "exceptions" list. Here's my question. If I have a program that listens on 32 different ports, do I need to manually open each and every port (16 tcp and 16 udp) or can I just add the program to the exceptions list? In doing the latter does it automatically open all ports that the programs binds to? TIA

Also, is there any way to specify a range of ports to open, or do you have to do each one individually?

Reply to
Chuck
Loading thread data ...

This should answer your question.

formatting link

Reply to
Poster 60

Not really. I explains what a firewall is and how to add exceptions. I already know how to do that. I want to know something specific about the windows xp firewall. When I add a program exception, and that programs is going to bind with UDP ports 1200 and 27015, will those ports automatically be opened while the program is running, or do I need to open them permanently?

Reply to
Chuck

When you run a program added to the exception list you are allowing

*incoming * connections to whatever ports that program uses. Ports usually will open and close automatically. If you find those two not opening, then add them to the exception list.
Reply to
Poster 60

When you run a program added to the exception list you are allowing incoming connections to whatever ports that program uses. Ports usually will open and close automatically when connections are made. To check this, enable the pfirewall log and watch the sequence as you surf.

Reply to
Poster 60

If the program calls Winsock to make its port bindings, the firewall will see this and will open (and close) the correct ports dynamically. If the program uses some other method, then you'll need to create port-based exceptions manually.

For port exceptions, you can indicate only one port per rule.

Steve Riley snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com

formatting link

Reply to
Steve Riley [MSFT]

That sucks. There are about 40 ports this program may use. I used to use Norton's FW (aka Internet Worm Protection) and it let you specify ranges.

I'm guessing the program is using winsock though since I can see the ports it's listening on with "netstat -ab".

Reply to
Chuck

Yeah, hoping that we can get port range support into the product at some point.

But if your program is in fact using Winsock, then you don't need a raft of port exceptions. The single program exception should do it.

-- Steve Riley snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com

formatting link
> If the program calls Winsock to make its port bindings, the firewall will

Reply to
Steve Riley [MSFT]

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.