Windows Firewall alone

A friend just had a new computer installed and it has been set up with AVG 7 for antivirus (ok) and just the windows firewall. Is this sufficient for her protection (she's connected via a USB ADSL 'modem')? I am told that windows firewall only protects inbound, if so, shouldn't she really have something like Zonealarm installed to ensure outbound protection, or is her config. ok?

TIA

Reply to
Sam
Loading thread data ...

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 10:45:59 -0000, Sam spoketh

It really depends on the user. If the user is careful and conscious about what she is doing online, then it should be sufficient. If she's not, and are likely to click on every link presented to her, including opening every e-mail message she gets at home, at hotmail and at yahoo mail, then she may need additional software and/or hardware to protect herself...

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

oh, to confirm, it's Windows XP SP2

Reply to
Sam

windows firewall is poor at best, additionally you should not use IE or outlook express, Firefox would be a better choice for browsers and web base mail is the safest, try yahoo mail

usb for broadband is not the preferred method, ethernet is a better option

NAT firewalled router is computer 101

spywareblaster, spywareguard, adaware and spybot should be installed on everyones pc

Reply to
Tiny Johnson

Thanks, Lars - that's reassuring. I don't think she's a link junkie!

Reply to
Sam

You might be surprised. I got a call from a client that has a 73y/o customer that needed some help on his PC. Seems the poor chap got a $700 phone bill for last month.

He got a new Dell in March, didn't update/register anything, and only used the AOL Dial-Up product, never leaving AOL. The machine was still in the default config..... Needless to say I found 8 dialers and 400+ spyware, adware items installed. He said he's never done anything except AOL.

I had to wipe his system, registered his copy of NIS 2004, set it up, installed all Patches, installed all Updates, installed FireFox, and disabled file/printer sharing.

It's amazing what people can get into when they don't have a clue.

Reply to
Leythos

Tiny Johnson wrote: web

Oh yeah? Where did you find this gem of information?

Reply to
optikl

You're right but I'm talking about a naive user who uses her computer for email and internet browsing. I really don't think that she is interested in installing all manner of other items - she needs something that will act without her intervention. Spybot, etc - no way!

Reply to
Sam

And besides, if the person has to run with all that junk, then he or she shouldn't be on the Internet. ;-)

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.