Should I let this NTL IP address through?

I am on NTL. What exactly is incoming IP address 80.7.172.78 trying to do?

Sandi

------

DETAILS:

For about one day my Sygate firewall was trapping incoming contact from that IP address 80.7.172.78 and sometimes flagging the contact as "major" and sometimes as "minor".

Sometimes the contact was by TCP but most times there was no protocol recorded. It did not try repeatedly if it doesn't get through but just tried once.

I am on NTL and that IP address resolves to NTL but exactly what is it address trying to do? S

descr: NTL-UK-IP-BLOCK origin: AS5089 mnt-by: AS5089-MNT changed: snipped-for-privacy@ntli.net 20040929 source: RIPE

role: NTLI Network Management Centre address: NTL Internet address: Crawley Court address: Winchester

Reply to
Sandi
Loading thread data ...

80.7.172.78 traced to: cpc1-seve3-3-0-cust78.popl.cable.ntl.com
Reply to
Brax

"Brax" wrote in news:d2qtv7$1p5$3 @newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk:

Looks like just another customer machine so no point in letting it through. If everything is working fine then there's no need to open your computer up.

Reply to
cw

Unless you are running a P2P package such as KazaLite, Morpheus, WinMX or using an IP telepony service, or running some kind of server, but in general for web surfing, POP e-mail, usenet news etc you don't need allow in bound connects.

Reply to
David Wade

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.