Replacement for KPF 2.1.5

Used this for quite some time. Excellent, small program for what is should do. However, over the last few months I've been having a very difficult problem re: errors with Syslog and other program problems at bootup. Problem is that nothing has changed at all with my system hardware or software. Tried a number of different checks, can't identify why this occurs (and it occurs randomly at boot up . . . . . reboot may or may not "fix"). Final despration is over so I'm looking for a replacement that is equally small and relatively unobtrusive. Searched through archives and threads spun about with very little in the way of recommendations of smaller programs. Appreciate and and all.

Reply to
Monroe
Loading thread data ...

Generic vulnerability for DoS == excellent?

Well, why do you wonder? This is exactly what KPF is supposed to do.

Sorry, but there are only even more bloated or serious (means: way smaller and non-obtrusive) alternatives.

What, you searched and didn't find Wipfw?

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Do you use this product? How reliable is it? I don't know much about BSD's firewalls but do know IPTABLES well. How do they compare?

Reply to
Robert

Yes.

Very reliable. Small, good quality code, simple design.

Wipfw is merely an implementation of an NDIS packet filtering driver with an IPFW1 controlling interface. As such, it doesn't have the capability to schedule, modify or generate packet, yet. The syntax itself is fully ipfw1 compatible, thus you can reuse existing scripts - and yes, ipfw1 has a way cleaner and easier syntax than IpTables without being less powerful.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.