Replacement for SH 1132CU

I think my SH 1132CU bit the dust the other night during a big thunderstorm. I haven't found any other electrical damage in the house. The 1132 seems to communicate with the PC connected via USB, however, there is no PLC activity. It doesn't send x10 signals, nor the the green LED flash when an x10 signal is sent from another transmitter. I know you can still get the 1132, however, as we all know, it is crippled and unsupported by SM, especially in the area of daylight saving time/standard time. I know there are also some other issues, but for the most part, it works pretty good. Using their Plus software, I am so some if/then type logic, i.e. if B1 turns on, then turn on C2. So, does anyone have any opinions of a replacement?

Reply to
Art Todesco
Loading thread data ...

I went through this myself last winter. I now turn off my power during ele= ctrical storms. I did a great deal of checking around for a replacement fo= r something else. the idea of learning another new item after being use to = this thing working so well except for two time a year to change the time If= I really feel the need to,... well I like this thing. I got a new 1132cu= in the box from x10parts.com. A friend of mine told me they bought up all = the old smarthome switchlinc x10 type switches and the 1132cu etc which he = prefers over the insteon. He tried the Insteon a couple of times sending t= hem back to smarthome for replacement and those replacements didnt work eit= her. The only other things that come close to the 1132cu is if you want to= leave a computer attached to the powerline running 24/7. I have heard x10= will be releasing something new late in 2013 possibly but who knows.

Reply to
Priority

electrical storms. I did a great deal of checking around for a replacement for something else. the idea of learning another new item after being use to this thing working so well except for two time a year to change the time If I really feel the need to,... well I like this thing. I got a new 1132cu in the box from x10parts.com. A friend of mine told me they bought up all the old smarthome switchlinc x10 type switches and the 1132cu etc which he prefers over the insteon. He tried the Insteon a couple of times sending them back to smarthome for replacement and those replacements didnt work either. The only other things that come close to the 1132cu is if you want to leave a computer attached to the powerline running 24/7. I have heard x10 will be releasing something new late in 2013 possibly but who knows.

Thanks for the info. I ordered a new 1132cu from Smarthome, however, they are back ordered. So, I'm still looking for someone that has them in stock. I'll check out x10parts.com. BTW, I have the 'Plus' software already, so I don't have to pay for a 2nd copy of it. It really ticks me off that Smarthome is still selling 1132s in their lame condition ... with the daylight savings 'bug', etc. If they are going to sell them new, they need to fix their product ... period.

As to Smarthome design, I don't trust anything they do. However, the

1132 has worked in my previous house and now this house for many, many years. I do have 1 SH appliance module. It is one that learns the x10 codes. It also randomly unlearns the codes. Actually, it unlearned the code during that same storm that apparently wiped out the 1132. In my previous house it would loose its mind in a day or 2. Here, in a much more rural area, it usually holds for 6 or 8 months. I only use it because it is one of the few 3 pin appliance modules that I have. I also like its relatively quiet relay. As to Insteon, I have a friend that used to have only x10 stuff. He bought Insteon and he loves it ... he won't go back. Another inconsistency of SM products.

Thanks again and sorry about the rant.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Well, I looked up the item on x10parts.com. They want about $200 for the unit with the Essentials software and about $250 for the one with the Plus software. What a ripoff.

Reply to
Art Todesco

I hate to keep answering my own post, but here's some additional info. I, too, really don't want to change controllers. I can live with the daylight savings problem. As to the unit I ordered from SmartHome, I got an email telling me it was back ordered. I used their on line live communication like to find out the estimated arrival/ship date. They told me they are no longer available. I was actually surprised that they still sold them new on their web site. So I told the guy about the back order email. He said that was a mistake. I asked, then why is the money held on my credit card. He said it will be un-held, and it was. So, now I had to look around for a working used one. I hit the jackpot when I found someone with 2 new units in unopened packaging. The price was right, $45 each, so I bought both, on for insurance. They're in the mail ... hope they work.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.