How long should I study for CCNA?

My classes end next week.

How long should I plan to study for the CCNA? 2 weeks? A month?

Reply to
Mitch
Loading thread data ...

I would think you would be taking it now! The whole point behind the class is to prep you for the test. I wouldn't think additional studying would be necasary.

Reply to
Brian V

Well, I still need to go back and study stuff from the beginning (OSI model, etc.)

But even then, we can get discount vouchers for the exam, but not until we finish the courses.

Reply to
Mitch

You study until you feel comfortable all that new info is properly filed away in that grey matter! Those classes move quickly, and not everything is recalled well enough to pass test questions.

I will warn you that of the over 31 students that started in CCNA1, only half made it to ccna2. Only 11 of 11 passed CCNA4 final exam, and of those, only 8 obtained their CCNA Cert. Although everyone took the test at least once. I know one person in particular who, almost a year later, still tells me he's going to take the cert test again, but he never will. He's waited too long.

There are numerous online sample tests, and I recall some suggested study guides on the Netacad site including a cert study guide that included a sample exam. I know the old CCNA Cisco Press ICND2 book came with a CD with a great sample exam and flashcard program on it.

Do sub-net calculations again... and again... and again... and when your done, do some more. You should be able to look at 255.192.0.0 and know instantly what /# number goes there, and visa versa. If you're still trying to do long-hand subnet calculations on your Cert exam, you will not have time to complete the timed exam. And you should be able to look at a netmask of 255.255.192.0 and know that subnet IPs are in multiples of 64. So that when you look at an IP address, you will be able to quickly identify the network and broadcast IP's on that subnet.

Also, the voucher test is a double edged sword. IF you feel you are really hot, and you are going to pass the test the first time, then use the voucher. However, the test centers usually have a 2 for 1 price. If you don't pass the test the first time, you can retake it for free. This will actually work out cheaper than using the voucher if you need to take the test twice to pass. Of the people in my class, only 1 passed the exam on the first try.

Good luck!

Reply to
crontab

I would review whatever you didn't understand very well. Email your instructor any questions you may have had.

I took CCNA in two steps, first the CCENT ICND1 test, and passed on the first try (it was mostly a review of the "old" CCNA material). It took me about 2 months to study and review.

Now I'm finishing my self-study of ICND2 material (I had CCNA about 7 years ago, but it was worthless after the dot-com bust...this version of CCNA has more teeth than the older versions...hopefully it will get more respect, too).

I took 6 months to study the ICND2 material, but I was busy with other things (namely full-time work). I am glad the "new" CCNA covers a lot more practical applications and material, namely WAN links, VLAN setups, and IPv6.

Unfortunately the local instructor center did not put me at ease; I told the owner that I ran my own business, and he was drooling at the idea of getting me to hire some of their graduates; it seems there is a glut of newly-graduated (and unemployed) Cisco certified individuals in the area.

I concluded that I'll take ICND2, get CCNA again, see where that takes me, and if it doesn't help my prospects, then I'll never take Cisco again (unless one of my future employer pays for it, which seems to be a pipe dream nowadays; from my experiences in the work force I've seen zero investment in corporate "human resources").

Good luck, Dan

Reply to
Dan

This one:

formatting link

I'm thinking of starting my CCNA, i managed to pass uni in networking last year but i never got the chance to do the CCNA modules (only cisco WLAN and network security modules), they bipassed the CCNA 1 + 2 to allow us to do them... let me say uni was a bit of a struggle, but i came away with a 2:1 in the end :). In my current employment i work a lot with ciscos and i feel a bit embarrased sometimes that i don't fully understand subnetting etc in great detail.

While we are on this subject, what's the best way of accomplishing CCNA

1, would i need to go to night classes at college, or is it possible to complete it all online? I would imagine that would be more difficult, not being able to ask questions etc.

I live in the UK btw.

Reply to
Jimbob

Our local community college jams the whole CCNA Discovery (4 semesters) into one academic year. 8 weeks per course.

My CCNA exam is scheduled for next week.

I'll say this: I have a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, and I've never failed a test in my life.

I took 2 practice CCNA exams and failed them both. I'm freaking out.

I think my biggest problem is information overload. For example, I've got STP and OSPF all jumbled together, in terms of electing a root bridge, electing a designated router, etc.

If the exam were just going to ask me to spew facts and tidbits, I'd probably ace it. But it's not going to do that. And it shouldn't.

The friend I'm going to take the exam with has his A+ and N+, and he's been working in IT for a few years. I'm sure he'll pass it, but my confidence level is very low right now.

Reply to
Mitch

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.