Recommendations on free firewalls?

Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times, but what free alternatives to ZoneAlarm are available? I'm finding ZA rather too resource-hungry - especially CPU. I'd like to be able to recommend a firewall to users of Win2K and earlier.

Reply to
Philip Herlihy
Loading thread data ...

There are literally too many to mention. I'd suggest you visit

formatting link
and look at the sticky post near the top relating to the free firewalls list.

Reply to
Kerodo

Thanks - much appreciated.

Reply to
Philip Herlihy

Please read the links below.

formatting link
formatting link
Wayne McGlinn Brisbane, Oz

Reply to
Wayne McGlinn

Interesting articles with more than a grain of truth - one reason I can't stand Norton is that it's continually trying to justify its existence with a shower of popups. ZoneAlarm allows you to turn off specific alerts as you come to recognise them, and I like the way it shows me what's happening on my machine. Tho' I'm hardly a networking expert, I do run IIS and I'd rather have a firm handle on what external machines can connect to my webserver and the various fileshares. If only ZA wasn't so greedy with CPU I'd be very happy with it, especially with its effective antispyware and antivirus components. On the other hand I've never had a client who has any clue how to manage Norton's firewall, and all too many of them bought their machines with it pre-installed.

If I was replacing my existing NAT modem/router/wireless kit I'd probably go for a separate modem, firewall/router and wireless access point - I've just installed a pair of Netgear FVS114s which seem extraordinarily good value for the money. However, I've been encouraging clients (especially domestic ones) to run ZoneAlarm so that they get an inkling of what's going on with those screen-savers and music-sharing programs they insist on downloading...

Reply to
Philip Herlihy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.