Have Zonealarm but junk still gets thru !

i have 6.1 with almost daily auto updates. i checked my system with a scan with Ewido and found tons of rubbish ,trojans,viri,and dialers ! how is this crap getting thru my firewall ? popups are blocked too.

Reply to
none
Loading thread data ...

Zone Alarm is designed to keep things from getting in and out (and as you-know-who will chime in, this is accomplished with different degrees of success). It is NOT meant to be an anti-virus program.

If you have ZA properly configured, the most likely answer to your question is that you have downloaded these items off the internet. Filesharing services are the #1 source of these sorts of programs. Limewire, eDonkey, Bittorrent, Bearshare...

Get yourself a good anti-virus program.

Reply to
Ryan P.

No firewall but only yourself can protect you from your own stupidity to download and install malware.

Downloading and installing malware can only be blocked by yourself.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

listen up you dumb f*ck ,i havent been installing malware ,so go f*ck yourself you dumb Kraut! ignorant asshole .

Reply to
none

Well, he isn't the one who got his computer messed up, and his guess that *you* allowed this crap through your firewall (one way or the other) is most likely correct. So I have some very strong suspicion who's really the "dumb f*ck" and the "ignorant asshole".

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Is it possible these things were there pre-ZoneAlarm? I'm not sure which ZA product you're using but with my ZA Pro, yes, there is an Anti-Spyware feature, but I'm pretty sure it's not a resident program, but is active only when you manually or automatically schedule a ZA Spyware scan. If so, ZA Pro won't stop spyware from arriving on your PC. Trojans, viri and stuff are not spyware and ZA will not stop their arrival. Are you only using ZA as a firewall on your PC and not running AV software as well? Scary. And if you are running AV software and viri and trojans arrive, wouldn't that be the fault of your AV software instead of your ZA firewall? Lastly, I see that Ewido's pretty highly rated. If you're worried about spyware, rather than just an occasional spyware scan with Ewido, why not use something like Ad-Aware Plus (the paid, not free Ad-Aware) or Microsoft's beta AntiSpyware? These spyware programs can be set to monitor for spyware as they arrive at your PC and prevent installation rather than waiting for a spyware scan to detect their presence.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

First off, someone that has tons of viri, trojans and dialers (and actually believes that zonealarm will stop them) shouldn't be using those words to describe someone that doesn't have tons of viri, trojans, and dialer.

Second of all, if you bothered to look back a little bit, you'd realise that the person you characterized that way has a long history of posting relavent and useful information in this newsgroup.

Unlike yourself.

Have a nice day.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

Hmmm... OP has a yahoo email address, posted from google, doesn't understand that if the firewall was working then he had to have installed this malware himself, then responded with obscenties and racial slurs. Definitely has the markings of a troll posting. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, odds are pretty good that it is a duck. Just killfile him.

Reply to
Renegade

on 1/19/2006 11:53 AM Renegade said the following:

'Taint whut ya do with a duck . . .

Ma! Fetch me my shootin iron!!!

;-)

Reply to
John Hyde

Malware doesn't just occur through spontaneous generation. It has to get on your system somehow. It could be you have activeX and JS enabled browsers and are surfing the wrong sites.

Reply to
optikl

Thank you for making clear, how important it is to know your opinion. This helps me to save much time.

Yours,

*PLONK*, VB.
Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.