pls no plong: what FW for w98se?

Please do not flame or plong me, I know security and w98 is quite different things.

But for reasons I am in process to configure one w98se system as a packup /replacement for a still happy running one which was set up sometimes in 1999 or so. Sorry but again it is needed, why this is other matter.

In times when I used to assemble such PC in siries and set it up, we used to install on all units not operating in some LAN sw firewalls, that time everybody seemed to be happy with Zone alarm, since it was configurable also for people who had no idea abt it, probably some fancy settings could be done, but were then not accessible for average user. Also the installation was quite simple, volume of the install file abt 2mb.

The systems where this was installed this way are mostly not on LAN but with dialup in internet since they are not on one place, are mobile laptops.

I tried to ask something abt ZA in the german NG for this subject, but was plongt and flamed as being stupid, useless and criminal, since only this way one can ask questions abt ZA apparently. I have no idea, but years ago, this seemd to be the favorite software FW for such application, but well times do change. First I had a look, the recent ZA is somehow large file and I was told it is too bugy.

But OK , for a simple mind as me, if it is so simple configurable as the earlier versions? In fact if I should find such old version, well yes it will not do any reasonable job on current OS, but on the old dos based w98 it still could work?

Or is there other idea today? Some people say without FW it is better then with a FW, well can not understand it completely, but is this true?

So what is the general approach when setting up w98se today and it should work on internet mainly via dial up, occassionaly via some LAN.? Is ZA today really such a scrap? Any other easy configurable FW for that purpose? (w98se!)

Thank in advance sorry for the posibely unususal request

Reply to
Otto Sykora
Loading thread data ...

Otto,

The last ZAPro version that worked well on my old 98SE were the 4x and 5x versions. The 6x and 7x versions do not support 98SE. Here is a link to the ZA History page.

formatting link
Some of the 4x and 5x versions are still available for download.(For Free). There is a ZoneLabe User Forum where you can do a search, or ask questions of your own. (after logging in).

formatting link
Good luck.

charlie R (Watch out for the flames)

Reply to
charlieR

formatting link

Yes, but only to you.

You're suggesting him to install an old version of a software with a lot of known unfixed vulnerabilities.

No wonder, you're abusing Outlook Express as a newsreader, so obviously you have no clue about security.

And then you're bottom-fullquoting all the way.

Hm... can't you find any better way to make a total fool out of yourself?

Reply to
Sebastian G.

In the firewall comparisons I have read, Jetico v1 (for Win98) has excellent rateings. It has an one of the highest ratings for controlling outbound connection 'Leakage'. It will take some learning to set it up.

formatting link
one of the easist firewalls to setup is Sygate. I am presently running v5.5 b 2710 on my Win98 and have been for some years.
formatting link

Reply to
Casey

Hm... doesn't "leakage" mean that it is on a list of shitty firewall products list? So it's the best of the worthless?

Maybe I really misread the group name... isn't this comp.*security*.*firewalls*?

Fine, but why would anyone want to do so?

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Bad Wording. "Highest Ratings" should be "Best Ratings"

Reply to
Casey

Why should this matter? Just being present on such a list is a K.O. criteria.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

thanks charlie, expectd still some flames, will cope with it

Reply to
Otto Sykora

looks fine, will check that one out as well. have heard of the jetico one allready, but have to fnd the version which will run on w98

Reply to
Otto Sykora

Ok Casay,

the jetico one looks fine, even the 'reduced' version for w98 seesm to work. Hope it is not too complex for config, since as non expert I have to work myself into it slowly.

But thanks, this looks like a useful compromise.

Reply to
Otto Sykora

Otto Sykora wrote: [Windows 98]

Fortunately, you don't need ZoneAlarm at all. Just don't use it.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Why should one want to filter network connections, if one could just stop offering network services?

This does not work at all, and can never work with Windows 98. By concept.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

He's already been told that several times in dcsf and dcsv, where he asked the exact same question. Just killfile the idiot.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.