Cisco PIX 506 - restore factory defaults

I'm having a good number of problems, and I'd like to start fresh. I'd like to run "configure factory-default" (running 6.3(4)). However, I'm concerned about losing information that would render me helpless.

I know I'm going to run "show run" and copy/store that information. But after some research, people have commented on losing the activation key? or their VPN key? Were run VPN w/3DES activated, and that works.

I guess I will also make a copy of "show activation-key". Is there anything else I should make a copy of? Ideally, I want to be in a position where if/when I run the factory-default command, through all the information I saved, I can get back to where I was before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

thanks, J

Reply to
Japhar
Loading thread data ...

In article , Japhar wrote: :I'm having a good number of problems, and I'd like to start fresh. I'd :like to run "configure factory-default" (running 6.3(4)). However, I'm :concerned about losing information that would render me helpless.

tftp off a copy of the configuration to somewhere else.

I'm not sure if the "config factory" alters the activation key or clears the rsa keys. It will certainly clear any VPN keys.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

From Cisco's website:

configure factory-default

On the PIX 501 and PIX 506/506E, the configure factory-default command reinstates the factory default configuration. (This command is not supported on other PIX Firewall platforms at this time.) Use this command carefully because, before reinstating the factory default configuration, this command has the same effect as the clear configure all command; it clears all existing configuration information.

With no options specified, the configure factory-default command gives a default IP address of 192.168.1.1, and a netmask of 255.255.255.0, to the PIX Firewall inside interface.

With the configure factory-default ip-address command, if you specify an inside IP address but no netmask, the default address mask is derived from the specified IP address and is based on the IP address class.

With the configure factory-default ip-address netmask command, the specified IP address and netmask are assigned to the inside interface of the firewall.

For the PIX 501, the 10-user license is limited to a DHCP pool of 32 addresses, the 50-user license is limited to a DHCP pool size of 128 addresses, and the unlimited user license is limited to a DHCP pool size of

253 addresses. (It would be 256 addresses for the unlimited user license, but the default IP address is class C and 256 DHCP addresses cannot be supported within a class C address.) The PIX 506/506E is limited to a DHCP pool size of 253.

For more details see:

formatting link
HTH,

-Richard

Reply to
Richard Graves

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.