Cisco 501

Hi,

I have a static IP address from my ISP. I also have a router with a built in Modem so I plug the router into the telephone line. If I make a direct connection from my router to my PC with the following addresses on my PC everything works fine, I get a connection to the internet (can view webpages):

IP: 194.97.248.40 Subnet: 255.255.255.250 Default Gateway: 194.97.248.39

Preferred DNS : 193.167.64.5 Alternate DNS : 194.97.230.30

As soon as I connect my Cisco 501 PIX in between the PC and the router, I don't get any internet connection. Here are the steps I am following to configure the firewall, so please guide me where I am going wrong:

I start the PDM by going to https://192.168.1.1/startup.html

Once started and authenticated get the Basic Configuration and I leave the default values ( PIX Host Name = pixfirewall, Domain Name: ciscopix.com)

On the next page "Outside Interface Configuration" I leave the "Speed to Auto" and I select "static IP address" and input the following details IP 194.97.248.40, Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.250 and Default Gateway: 194.97.248.39

On the next page I leave the remote VPN page empty

On the next page I also leave the Auto update Configuration empty

On the next page "Other Interfaces Configuration I can see the Inside and outside interface settings and the inside has a security level of

100 and the outside has 0.

On the next page "NAT and PAT Configuration" I select "do not translate any addresses.

On the next page I disable the DHCP because I can allocate a specific IP for the PC connecting to the Firewall.

After applying all these setting and saving them. I specify TCP/IP for my PC with the following addresses:

IP: 192.168.1.10 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway : 192.168.1.1

I try to connect to the internet but I will not let me connect. For some reason Skype is able to connect which is quite strange.

Do I need to configure anything more? Why does it not allow me to connect to the internet?

When I remove the firewall I am getting a connection. Please can you guide me?

Thank you, James

Reply to
jamesp010
Loading thread data ...

Hi

formatting link

if u ask me activate NAT and it will work.

Reply to
neo80123

Here's your problem: you are using your static IP address on the outside interface and an RFC 1918 address on the inside interface, yet you have NAT/PAT turned off. What do you expect is translating your external address (184.97.248.40) to your internal address (192.168.1.10) if you have NAT/PAT turned off?

Reply to
Jerry Gardner

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.