Norton Internet Security doesnt find correct profile

I am having a strange problem with NIS where it will not find my wireless network. When I access my personal firewall configuration it will show that the default profile is (active) but it does not have any programs listed under program control, no trusted networks, and no trusted computers etc. With the default profile active I cannot browse the internet or get email unless I disable NIS. If I click on the wireless networks icon in the system tray and search for my network, it does not find it.

However, if I right click the icon and select repair it will find the network (strength excellent - it is only 2 feet from wireless router). Then NIS will show that the HOME profile is (active), all my programs, trusted networks, computers etc. are listed and working. However, after a period of inactivity, the profile returns to default (active) and the wireless conection is lost.

This is my desktop computer and should always be using the HOME profile but for some reason it doesnt. The knowledge database on symantic.com refers to a "network detector alert" from which you can assign a network connection to a particular profile. However, I never seem to get this alert and therefore cannot access these options. Is there another method to tell NIS which profile to use? or is there away to delete the other profiles so that the HOME profile is always used?

I appreciate any assistance with this issue. BTW, NIS 2005 on a Dell

2.4 Ghz running XP SP2. All windows updates and liveupdates have been installed and are up to date. DSL internet with 2wire router, linksys wireless G PC card.

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
home_sdp-1
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.