nic cards on ipcop

I'm trying to install ipcop on an old unused up. Install is ok, but setting up the nic cards is not. The lan nic is ok, I can access the pc and do the setup with a browser. The trouble I'm having is the wan nic. I looks like int installs ok to ipcop, but I can't access the internet with it. I've tried (3) different nics with no access to the internet. I've tried to set the wan for dhcp and static and still no access. I'm at a loss... :( Any ideas??

Reply to
gene martinez
Loading thread data ...

How do you normally access the net? Most times you need to enter a user/pass combo.

What is connected to the Red NIC? A dsl/cable modem? A router?

Usually when installing IPCop I do a base build with 1 Nic (green) Then shut down, add 2nd nic, logon to console as root and run setup, detect 2nd nic (go to networking setup, change to Green/Red, card will then detect, add to RED interface ) Do not enter an IP address for the red network (assuming you have a dsl/cable modem)

Then under IPCop webpage, go to Network -> dialup and configure PPPOE to connect. SAve and reboot. Cheers, E.

Reply to
E.

Thanks, got it working I'm happy now.. I didn't have the correct info for the gateway and dns. Now all is well. So I can add more nics? Do they need to be different makes/modes?

Reply to
gene martinez

Do

No.

I find with IPCop you add nic's one at a time in the order green, red, orange, blue to prevent misassignment and headaches. E.

Reply to
E.

I tried to add the 3rd nic and it was the same as the red (wan) nic and I lost my connection to the internet. I removed it and all is now well again....

Reply to
gene martinez

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.