install ipcop

I have an old p100 and wonder if I can install ipcop on it? Also do you need different make/model nic's? I have a few old 3com 3c509's, can I install more than (1) of the same kind nic? I want to end up with (4) nic's, (1) internet, (1) local network, (1) dmz pc, and (1) wireless ap... Will this setup work??

Thanks

Reply to
gene martinez
Loading thread data ...

I did read someware that they had been able to set up and run Ip-Cop on som 286 with 14M in ram (but I am not sure it was Ip-Cop 1.4.x, it could have been 1.3.x or older).

Useing the same kind of NIC's can actually be an advantage, then you only need to install one driver for the NIC's (think you should use the best one's for you're intranet).

4 NIC's is the maximum for Ip-Cop to handle, so it will work.

Make sure that you download "how to install..." and "how to admin..." from

formatting link
/Anders

Reply to
Anders

Depends on how much RAM is installed. See the requirements page on their web site.

3C509s? Slow, but depends on your traffic load. Do a web search for the Ethernet-HOWTO from the Linux Documentation Project. They've been used without problems since the early 1990s.

Exceptionally unlikely. IP-Cop is a Linux firewall, and Linux requires a minimum of a 80386 in the x86 family. "MINUX" (an O/S used as a tesching aid) and ELKS may work on a 286, but I don't think either had a firewall capability.

Not using IP-Cop (don't need the extra crap beyond what's already in the basic Linux kernel), but my primary connection (firewall and router) is a 386SX-16 laptop (possibly it was an Acer originally) with 8 Megs of RAM, with no display, no keyboard, and no case for that matter. It's a severely stripped kernel (I have to compile it on one of the work stations, because it lacks the disk and memory space for a compiler), but it works fine. I just picked up some old 386 systems (three desktops and two lapdogs) for $5, and will be stripping them to get memory chips to bring my firewall up to it's max of 16 Megs.

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

Thanks

Reply to
gene martinez

Thanks

Reply to
gene martinez

Have you installed ipcop? I downloaded rawrite.exe & rawritewin.exe, but I still don't understand how to make a bootable floppy. The pc can't use a bootable cd...

Reply to
gene martinez

There are many versions of rawrite.exe around, but the one I am most familiar with is executed by typing 'rawrite image.fs a:' from a command line.

Joachim

Reply to
jKILLSPAM.schipper

Thanks, I'll give it a try.. Another question is the image a file name of just the word image? Sorry, this is all new to me, sad to say I've only use/worked with windows and dos....

Reply to
gene martinez

It's a file name. It would be called something like install, floppy, and may have an .img or .fs extension.

This should be explained in the instructions, though.

Joachim

Reply to
jKILLSPAM.schipper

Yes I have install´d Ip-Cop severel time´s started with 1.4.0 and the last one was (for me) 1.4.8, but my pentium allow me to boot from CD-rom and I have no problem with the ISO's in Linux.

If you can't boot from CD you have to read this part of the innstallation manual and make sure that you understand how to use FTP or HTTP servers becuse Ip-cop is going to look for one on the green interface during the install.

formatting link
Then it come´s to the raw-write I belive that it is not more difficult than using any other Windows program just dubbel-click the icon, and answering the qestions.

Good luck and hope you make it. /Anders

Reply to
Anders

How about an ISO extension?

Reply to
gene martinez

Thanks I'll have a look....

Reply to
gene martinez

That's almost certainly a CD image.

Joachim

Reply to
jKILLSPAM.schipper

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.