mcafee security center automatic update won't install (and kills system restore?)

I noticed that the automatic upgrade of MacAfee security center seems to take ages. After waiting something like an hour or so, I decided to reboot the system. I got a warning that there was an MacAfee update and the system couldn't de rebooted. So I waited some more time, but clearly something was wrong.

Did a hard reboot and tried the manual upgrade. All stiff seemed to be downloaded, some cab file was extracted (at 25% of overall job done) and .... an empty window with only the title appeared. So I waited some more... useless of course.

Since I use ie7 beta2, I figured that might be the problem, so I set firefox as a default and tried again. Now I got a 401 error about a page being unavailable (to download some FF plug-in).

So... system restore should help me out. But... system restore didn't seem to act al all. I clicked, but nothing happened. Checked MS site .. said the restore service might be down, but following the article, that wasn;t the case.

All in all... I'm quite stuck now.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Gerard

(of course I checked Google... but ...)

Reply to
Gerard Verhoef
Loading thread data ...

I got the answer: IE7 beta is to blame and firefox is not supported by MacAfee because it doesn't use active-x.

Reply to
Gerard Verhoef

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.