change NIC, port forward fails

Netopia Router R9120 Port forwarding works for several devices. when I change the NIC (or entire machine), the port forwarding for that machine fails.

For example, on Netopia port forward table I have: 10.1.6.35 701 - 702 This works, until I put new computer in place, then it fails, even though the ip address of the new machine is the same.

The 'show ip nat trans' command on netopia router shows what looks like an incoming connection to 10.1.6.23:701, but I get no response from the computer on 10.1.6.23.

I had a total of 8 devices receiving the port forwards. After replacing some of them with new machines (but keeping same ip address), now I have only three that work. These three are still the old machines. I suspect that if I change them out for new machines, the port forwarding will fail.

If I add a machine to the port forward list, it will not respond.

Inbound traffic follows this path Internet --> netopia router public address --> into a 3com 5500 switch --> out to an unmanages switch --> out to the workstation.

The three working machines are on different subnets and they still work.

When I put the old machines back on-line, the port forwarding to the ip address works again.

Only thing I can think of is that there is a table that contains mac address/ip address relationship (arp?) that is incorrect for the new NICs on the netopia router or the 5500 switch.

I checked the arp table on the 5500 and the mac/ip address relationships are correct.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
cbrenizer
Loading thread data ...

[snip]

- Disable any local firewall running on the computer

- Install ethereal and see if you see attempts at the expected traffic

- Make sure the Netopia runs the latest firmware version

These are all shooting from the hip, your problem looks just weird. Are you using the Netopia for DHCP?

Reply to
Eirik Seim

Hi, thanks for the reply.

On XP machines, Windows firewall is disabled.

Netopia router firmware is latest (8.11.3) available.

Netopia was the dhcp server until 4 months ago, but not it is not the dhcp server.

I'll try ethereal this morning and see if I can see that traffic.

It is a weird problem and I'm afraid that it willl become a finger-pointing battle between netopia and 3com.

Eirik Seim wrote:

Reply to
cbrenizer

Well, this sounds dorky, but did you reboot the netopia? It may have problems clearing it's own arp cache when you bring a new NIC up on the same IP with a different MAC.

Most devices will figure it out on their own, but not all of them.

There is probably a more elegant way to fix the stale arp cache on the netopia, look in the dox perhaps. But a reboot always works for that. :-)

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.