kerio 2.1.5

Can kerio 2.1.5 be configured to only allow my telephone number to connect to the Internet (to thwart rogue dialers)

Thanks

Reply to
species8350
Loading thread data ...

"species8350" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

What's Kerio or any FW solution personal or otherwise have to do with blocking connections by phone number? Some PFW(s) have Application Control that will stop a particular application/program running on the machine from accessing the Internet or stop it from running and that's not by phone number.

The FW(s) job is to stop inbound or outbound traffic to/from the computer by port, protocol or IP and not by phone number.

You can use a HOST file that will somewhat stop site access for some sites rogue dialers would want to contact and there are sites that you can get an updated site list for the Host File at Host file sites or you can go into the Host file and make an entry yourself. Note: the Host File is not 100% protection either.

formatting link
The key is to not open unknown emails or click on unknown links in emails or go to dubious Internet sites and start clicking on things with the

*happy* fingers allowing the rogue program to reach the machine.

You can use Active Ports (free) and see what IP(s) are being connected to, which you can put a short-cut for Active Ports in the Start-up folder so you can see what's happening at boot or use it in general to see possible rogue connections to IP(s) and take the appropriate action.

You can take the IP and enter into Arin whois and it will get you in the ball park of you determining of the site is dubious.

A couple of things you can do is use Firefox (free) as your default browser and only use IE for sites that require IE and stop using Outlook Express (unless you know how to config OE) and us another email client program. That too will stop a lot of rouge activity on your machine.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

If you're in the UK, you can download BT's Modem Protection program. It's small, runs in the background, and should do a good job of protecting you against dodgy diallers.

formatting link

Reply to
Wattsville Blues

I tried BT's programme, but I found that it gave so many false positives that I decided to uninstall it.

I have installed Dialer_Watcher which looks like it does the same job, but with no false positives.

I haven'e been able to work out if these programmes just monitor the Dial-up Networking folder, or if they monitor the pc. Any ideas.

Thanks

A
Reply to
species8350

It's maybe just intended to detect any dialling software other than BT's own. I'm not on BT dial-up so I've never used it.

Reply to
Wattsville Blues

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.