Alternative to Kerio 2.1.5 with easy interface?

Hello

I'm getting BSOD's on a new PC on which I installed Kerio

2.1.5, like I do on the PC's I have. So I guess it's time to move on.

At this point, I tried Sunbelt Kerio, Outpost, Comodo, and Jetico: None of them has the ease of use of Kerio :-/ They're a pain to configure.

Are there others I should look at, or are those the best there are?

Thank you.

Reply to
Gilles Ganault
Loading thread data ...

Hi Gilles. You might want to try Sygate firewall.

formatting link
have used v5.5b2710 on my Win98 box for about 6_yrs. with excellent results--no virus or malware have gotten in.

Many people have avoided Sygate because it has such a low leakage rating. This is insufficient outbound control that lets malware phone home etc. This is with the conventional setup of Sygate

Sygate, however, can be setup using a single rule set much like Kerio

2.1.5. Initially set up Sygate Application Rules in a normal manner. Then move this rule set info. into Advanced Rules. These will be "Allow" rules that go at the top of the Advamced Rule set. These allow everything to connect out that you want to connect out. The last rule at the bottom should be a "Block All" rule. It will block all incoming/outgoing traffic to/from all hosts on all ports and all protocols. (The leaky stuff can't leak out) Sygate Adv. Rules execute from top to bottom.

Casey

Reply to
Casey

Thanks for the link. Sygate was bought by Symantec in 2005, and replaced by Symantec?s Norton Internet Security.

Did you get to use it in 2000, XP, and Vista, and with good results? I wouldn't want to leave Kerio 2.1.5 for something that also shows some problems, sometimes.

Strange that no one copied Kerio's easy interface.

Reply to
Gilles Ganault

I was aware of this--too bad they got bought out.>

No, I just have a single computer running Win98

Casey

Reply to
Casey

So you're running a PFW that is no longer supported on an operating system that is no longer supported (and doesn't need a PFW to prevent malware from getting in in the first place as long as you disable file and printer sharing). I could tell you just how utterly stupid that is, but since this already has been explained to you several times (and you've actively ignored it just as many times) I won't bother.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

59cobalt. Thank you so very, very much for point out the stupid use of my Sygate PFW. I don't know how I have gotten along without this "new" information all these years. My main purpose in using Sygate is that it has an outstanding traffic log--It keeps me informed on what is going on in my computer. Casey
Reply to
Casey

BRAVO! What does "supported" mean? It means BLOATED with numerous useless capabilities, fixable by fewer real people, at fewer locations, at a greater and greater cost to the poor sap who thought he needed the newer SUPPORTED hardware/software. I've been running WindowsME with Kerio 2.1.5 for years and never had a single, invasive, problem. NEVER. That machine will do anything you ask a WindowsXP machine to do.If your smart enough to practice safe hex, your smart enough not to fall for the 'newer', 'supported' bullshit. (See: Windows Vista).

Reply to
Ed Mc

As long as no program tinkers with it or simply disables it. Which is exactly no problem on Windows 9x. But who am I telling this?

Nope. It means you have a non-zero chance to get updates when a vulnerability is discovered.

Well, none that you were aware of, that is.

Yeah, right. Except for being able to create restricted users. Or being able to restrict access to files/folders. Or the registry. Or having reasonable logging. Or anything else that will provide at least *some* security.

Apparently you aren't exactly smart enough to understand the real problem with "no longer supported". And about "practicing safe hex", mmm... let's see:

| 2. Keep your operating system and programs patched | You are strongly advised to apply all security-related patches for | your software as they become available.

formatting link
So tell me, wiseguy, how do you "practice safe hex" when you can't get security-related patches because your software IS NOT SUPPORTED ANYMORE?

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

When you practice CORRECT safe hex, MS updates are not necessary. This includes of course, do not use OE, IE, and other MS programs.

My present '02 version of 98SE has never been updated and I've never had an infection.

And Kerio 2.1.5 is working just fine.

Just so you know!

BoB

Reply to
BoB

LOL!!!!!!

I have used all the MS O/S(s) including Vista too. I didn't and don't have a problem using any of them.

I guess it all depends upon who is sitting behind the keyboard and mouse doing the typing and clicking.

Oh, I did have to dump Windows ME that crash prone piece of crap that crashed and rebooted itself on my laptop that was wireless every time a car or truck drove by putting out heavy frequencies.

I replaced ME on the laptop with Win 2K and then XP and never had another problem on the wireless after that. :)

I am even running Vista on this HP dv9000 Entertainment laptop that's got wireless and no problems using Vista.

And I'll tell you right now that the ME O/S cannot do everything a NT classed O/S can do. Maybe, from your standpoint of being home user that you think that the Windows ME O/S is in the class of a NT class O/S. It's no where in the ballpark.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Why not use 5.6b2808? It's working fine over here (2000 Pro SP4 & XP Home SP2).

Reply to
s|b

ORLY? So what you're trying to tell me is that somehow you're magically running Windows without running Windows? I'd like to see how that trick works. Or do you for some exotic reason actually believe an operating system would never require updates?

Or maybe you just never noticed? Who knows.

Without any updates since December 31, 2005. So much for "safe hex".

If only I got one nickel for every idiot ...

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

I've taken a look at Secunia and it shows 3 unpatched advisories for Kerio Personal Firewall 2.x:

one being highly critical. At the risk of sounding like yet another idiot, there seem to be relatively simple solutions for all three... (?)

Reply to
s|b

No he said running Windows OS without MS bloatware (IE + OE etc.). Actually I'm jumping in here because I've got a '98 desktop still running fine using Firefox and Pine. I need a legit Windows desktop and I'm damned if I'm _ever_ paying MS for a license.. no way.

Are you absolutely sure that all software must be updated to be safe? Since the majority of vulnerabilities posted are found in new-ish versions of sw and '98 was updated to death before MS decided they'd rather sell XP/2003, I think the guys setup is better than a Vista box with "the latest updates". I don't think the blackhats are spending sleepless nights trying to break into 98SE, it's been done to death. And Kerio does it's job. No it's not perfect and I wouldn't trust it with my life. But for a home browsing/email system it's fine and dandy.

Badly configured Linux boxes are much more of a target for misuse.. for a start 98 really doesn't have any decent tools to exploit anything else.

...you'd sell software updates? :^)

Reply to
Jamin Davis

Who exactly was the manufacturer of Windows again?

[...]

Umm... yes? Unless you can explain how to "practice safe hex" without actually implementing its principles.

Then you think wrong. Plain and simple.

Unfortunately the blackhats don't really care that much about what you think.

No.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

I stand by what I say - nobody is going to waste time breaking a 98 box for whatever reason. Maybe you do - just to prove your point ;-|

OK your opinion. If you've got lots of money to throw at MS be my guest. Upgrades are available from isohunt.com or microsoft.com.

Reply to
Jamin Davis

Nope. We were talking about security and safe hex. And you still failed to explain how to practice safe hex without implementing its principles.

Another case of entirely missing the point.

*sigh*

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.