Jetico Firewall (free)

Anyone use this one? Comments? Thanks

Reply to
Buffalo
Loading thread data ...

Strange, I did a Find for Jetico (message body) and didn't find the thread "Jetico Personal Firewall" on 21 Apr 05 by badgolferman. I probably should have used Find in the Subject box instead. However, does anyone else have any experience with the latest version of Jetico? v. 1.0.1.58 Freeware, 7th April, 2005 Thanks in advance. Buffalo

Reply to
Buffalo

From what I have cobbled together from reading... it is still in development therefore there may be some quirks/bugs, however it does show a lot of promise.

Reply to
Joe Canuck

t.

Reply to
sded

It screwed up my machine really bad. I was using 98SE at the time on a Pent III. Luckily, I had a Drive Image backup. I was amazed how much damage had been done. There must have been some really nasty conflict going on between it and something else on my machine. Remember that it is beta. Backup before using it. Even if it doesn't totally trash your machine as happened to me, it might still screw up some other programs.

That was my experience, and I have nothing against Jetico. I use their BestCrypt and BCWipe.

Reply to
tedB

Thanks for your feedback. I will wait for a newer version, and then I will back up my system just before I try it. I now use ZA Pro, but would like to try another FA that uses less resources. But, then again, ZA Pro doesn't slow down my system, as far as I can tell.

Reply to
Buffalo

Thanks for your input. I also run Win98SE. Perhaps it was some program you are running (anti-virus, spyware blocker or finder, etc) that caused the conflict, or maybe just a 'corrupt' install. Either way, I will hold off.

Reply to
Buffalo

I meant 'firewall' , not FA, whatever that could stand for. ????? (Fire Alarm, Free Apricots,Funny Articles,Future Applications, etc.) :-)

Reply to
Buffalo

It was on my machine for less than an hour before I uninstalled it. I got tired of telling it the same thing over and over again. Perhaps if you are an experienced firewall tinkerer you may be happy with it, but it wasn't worth the time for me to mess with it.

Reply to
badgolferman

I am using ZA Pro right now also, and it's using around 9 megs of ram. You won't get all that much lower with Jetico, maybe just a couple of megs less.

With Jetico, you have to like rules more or less, and you have to also be willing to play with it, answer a LOT of prompts, and tweak it till you get it where you want. Once you reach that point, it works fairly well all around. I've used it off and on for about 8 months, trying each new release.

But ZA is much easier to deal with overall. If you have no great need for the control that Jetico offers, then you might want to just stick with ZA.

I have never had it do anything weird or harm my system (Win2k) thru 8 months of beta's and final releases. But some people have had problems. A backup is wise.

Reply to
Kerodo

Why not a simple resolution without adding more unstable and exploitable code to your system?

Just stop offering network services to the internet.

formatting link

Reply to
Andreas Rauer

Thanks for the very informative post. Appreciate it. Buffalo

Reply to
Buffalo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.