More than one static IP with Verizon DSL

I've had Verizon DSL for a few years. When I first got it I had a Westell modem with a single ethernet port. I built a firewall/router with FreeBSD and IPFW that would grab an IP adress with PPP. Hooked it up to a switch and ran three computers behind it.

I recently rcvd from Verizon a Westell 327W Wireless/Ethernet/Firewall and installed it in place of my old Westell modem. I left it pretty much default except for the wireless where I disabled SSID broadcasts and used WEP. I plugged FreeBSD box into one of the ethernet ports on the Westell and left the rest of my Lan in place.

Now I am thinking of replacing the FreeBSD box. Before that, since everything was working, I did not concern myself with the specifics of routing details, etc.

I have found, to my surprise. My Westell is grabbing an IP address from Verizon when it connects. My FreeBSD is also grabbing an IP address from Verizon. I have two routeable static IPs with one DSL connection. I didn't think this would be possible.

Is this typical or is there something about my FreeBSD that enables this?

Reply to
sashalulu
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.