IPCop dropping an alias?

I'm looking for some ideas here... i have an IPCop machine with a primary IP of xxx.xxx.xxx.005 and aliases of xxx.xxx.xxx.002-010 on the red interface.

I have a few machines in the dmz, no problems, and some port forwarding in to the trusted lan, no problems.

I have an Exchange server in trusted (green) that was not accessible from the outside, and while I had an external IP in the dns for it at xxx.xxx.xxx.004, it was not turned on.

Then I wanted to be able to use my Apple laptop to access it from outside the home network, so turned on the xxx.xxx.xxx.004 alias and configured my various apps, mail, address book to access everything via IMAP, IMAPS and OWA...

Everything was falling in to place - but for some reason, when that IP receives much traffic the address goes dead - i have to turn off the alias in IPCop and then turn it back on for it to work again... which only lasts until I fire up Mail and try to sync up the IMAP mail.

Anyone have any ideas on what would cause this? I'm pulling what's left of my hair out trying to solve this one.

thanks all,

Richard

Reply to
rjvalenta
Loading thread data ...

Sorry I cant help but a good forum for IPCop is

formatting link

Simon

Reply to
Simon Pickard

Make absolutely certain you are not sticking those leading zeros in the addresses. xxx.xxx.xxx.005 might equal xxx.xxx.xxx.5 but xxx.xxx.xxx.008 and xxx.xxx.xxx.009 are invalid numbers - the leading zero means you are writing in OCTAL (base 8) and not decimal.

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

No, i'm only using the 000.000.XXX for an example...

BUT - i did learn something as i've played with this - it appears to just drop the alias after 5 minutes. If i deactivate the alias, or delete it, and put it back on / re-enable it... the address comes alive, I can ping it, etc..

then after 5 minutes it dies.

All other aliases work fine - ideas anyone?

Reply to
rjvalenta

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.