Moving an IP Alias Behind a Cisco 2950

I've got two Debian GNU/Linux machines behind a Cisco 2950. host1 has an alias at eth0:0 that I'd like to move to host2. I thought this would be as easy as modifying /etc/network/interfaces to include the alias on host 2 and then doing the following:

host1# ifdown eth0:0 host2# ifup eth0:0

Unfortunately, I think the switch is caching something that prevents host2 from being reachable with the IP in the alias. I can't tell whether it's MAC or ARP caching, but I've tried the following with no success in privileged EXEC mode:

# clear mac address-table dynamic address [MAC address of eth0 on host1] # clear mac address-table dynamic # clear arp-cache

None of these worked. If I try

# show mac address-table

the MAC address of host2 is never listed. I would've expected it to be added dynamically, but I never see it show up.

Here's the software version:

IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(22)EA1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Is there a way to allow moving the alias in this way at the switch? Or is this likely some other networking problem?

Reply to
tfo
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.