netscreen troubleshooting /snmp

What is recommended to use to extract detailed traffic info via SNMP from a Netscreen firewall? I'm using SolarWinds and I don't get traffic stats like rx/tx errors, collisions etc. even though I have this enabled in the management interface.

I am trying to troubleshooting why our internet access/traffic through the NS100 (I suspect something is going on on the firewall) is so slow, but I"m so far at a loss.

Checked duplex settings, looked at errors on switch interfaces, etc. etc.

One strange thing I see is a HIGH utilization on the untrusted port that is patched into an internet/public switch (solid activity light on) but on the internet feed to it (a 10Mb Cisco double T1 setup) - activity just flashes once in a while (so it appears that traffic is fairly light). So therefore, why all the traffic on my untrusted Netscreen interface?

These are the questions that keep me up at night. Help.

Thanks

Reply to
fjr.colorado
Loading thread data ...

The "snmpget" utility from the net-snmp package.

You could script up somthing with MRTG or RRDTool to poll the MIB for that stuff and automaticaly graph the statistics. Or configure an NMS - such as JFFNMS , OpenNMS or NINO - for it. (Google for that...)

Reply to
Menno Duursma

Hi,

If you have any idea how to configure jffnms in order to monitor netscreens, let me know. I didn't find anything on google. thx and greetz, Johan

Reply to
johan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.