Information on ALGs

hi,

I'm new to the user groups community. I'm not sure if this is the right user groups that I should be posting this question to.

I'm looking for information related to the following ALGs.. MSN, AOL, yahoo messenger & ICQ.

I'm trying to come up with some test cases for testing these ALGs in a home gateway network. But I lack information on the workings of the above services.

I'd appreciate if someone can give me information or pointers to the sources of information on the above? I could get information related to ALGs like FTP, ICMP etc from RFCs. But I'm unable to find any information on these. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Revathi

Reply to
meet_revathi
Loading thread data ...

Can you define the term "ALG"?

Can you define what you are looking for in 'Testing"?

K
Reply to
KKadow

In article , wrote: :Can you define the term "ALG"?

Can you quote some of the previous article when you post, so that people have some context to go on? Google has given you a nice graphical interface to Usenet, but a *lot* of people do not use that interface, as it is missing rather a lot compared to many older Usenet newsreaders.

:Can you define what you are looking for in 'Testing"?

I'm not -sure-, but I -suspect- that when the original poster asked for information on "ALGs" for IM, FTP, ICMP and so on, that the original poster was asking for "algorithms". But everything asked about was not an

-algorithm- but rather a protocol (or a protocol suite.)

I would suggest that the original poster should spend a few weeks reading the RFCs at places such as

formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Probably in this context he was talking about Application Layer Gateways which can be thought of as application intelligence in a firewall when dealing with a protocol. For example, rather than defining FTP as port 21 plus a given range of dynamic ports, and therefore perhaps incorrectly classifying some other traffic in with it, a firewall with an FTP ALG would understand which sessions are connected to the original FTP session and allow you to work with FTP as an object in your policy list, because the firewall understands which sessions are FTP traffic and which are not.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

An application level gateway is a filtering instrument, which works in the application layer. I.E. for filtering web, you'd call it "filtering proxy".

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.