Setting up the DSL and Buffalo

Ok, Jeff, I'm geting up to speed:)

I've ordered the DSL service from Linkline and they are sending me the modem.

I've also just built a new box with built in NIC support. XP Home on this one. I've downloaded the Buffalo manual (WHR HP G54) and read it twice. The client device is a Wireless USB 11g. found on ebay for $6. The connection software looks better than Windooze, so I'll use it if possible. (ZyDas) Both the router and client support encryption (all 3 flavors), which brings me to my question:

Should I change any of the default settings BEFORE I connect, or do I use the default settings (wired) for first connect? My ISP uses DHCP.

Otherwise, it appears this should be a piece of cake:)

Reply to
Travis McGee
Loading thread data ...

"Travis McGee" hath wroth:

Nope. You're still in the slow lane. I post so many messages, that I can't recall what you're referring to. Pretend I have a short term memory of about zero seconds and pretend I never heard of you.

You're already in trouble. You're read the manual too far in advance. The delay between reading and installing will mean that you'll probably try to install it from memory, make a huge mess, and only then refer to the instructions. It's so much easier to not read the manual until AFTER you get into trouble.

Ummm... wonderful. I have a short story. Last week, I was reminded that I volunteered to provide wireless connectivity for the local radio club between the repeater building and two nearby buildings. All I had was my pile of old 802.11b junk that I had removed from service for various reasons. I spend most of 8 hours doing battle with ancient junk that should have been recycled or sold on eBay years ago. Good luck.

Always do your initial setup using a wired ethernet connection. It's so much easier and eliminates one major source of complications. Start with the DSL modem and plug your new "box" directly into the modem. Do whatever un-natural acts the ISP insists you perform in order to get online. Once the modem is working, power everything off, wait a while for things to reset, and then plug in the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54. Get it setup on the WAN side using a direct ethernet cable. Once that's working, setup the wireless.

Most do.

Famous last words: This should be easy.

With wireless, it's NEVER as easy as it seems in the advertising and literature. Think about flashing your WHR-HP-G54 with DD-WRT firmware.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

on eBay years ago.

Hmmm, well this one is new, in the box and has grreat reviews. YOu probably don't remember that this is what you advised to get. (el cheapo USB)

I suppose.........yes, but to clarify, I" could" have gotten a static address, but not running a web site, didn't see any benefit. Is there one? And Earthlink, my other choice, uses POP oE, which I understand is a PITA. IF I wanted dial-up, I could stay where I am.

Right. Will do that as soon as I get set up. CAn you say what are the advantages? (besides the obvious increased settings to play with:)

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Travis McGee

"Travis McGee" hath wroth:

Oh swell. So if it doesn't work, it's my fault. You're correct. I don't remember. I don't want to remember.

The only time you really need a static IP is if you're running a mail server and need to point a DNS MX record at the mail server. Everything else can be done with dynamic DNS. I have static IP's on my own systems because of this.

Yep. Lots of features to tinker with. My main reason is monitoring. I setup SNMP (or syslogd) and grab numbers from the routers to get a picture what the system is doing. When it dies, then I have a history to look at to see what is considered normal. I also use them for coffee shops (with an external RADIUS server). However, I don't think I use 10% of the added features and functions available. The only down side is that I tend to be attracted to the latest and greatest revisions, which also tend to be the buggiest and least stable. I run mine this way, and only inflict a version on my customers after I've tested it thoroughly. I failed to do it this way in the past, and have paid the price.

dd-wrt v23 simulator:

I've been tinkering with v23 sp3 lately. It has a few more features and functions. No huge problems, yet.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Well, just got off the phone with the DSL guys. After first saying they

*can* get me DSL, now they say "NOPE."

I can't get an answer, except "Maybe they locked your circuit out to pull new wire." My neighbor has DSL, though.........First the tech guy said "You show already having DSL." Then he changed his mind the next day. I have no idea what is going on in the switching office..

Looking for cable solution now, I guess.

UNLESS.......my mom has ATT DSL about 50 feet away. Over a fence and through some aluminum siding, however.

IF I get the wireless to work, will it be fast enough for video streaming>>?? IF not, then it's not worth it to me.

Me thinks not.

Reply to
Travis McGee

You give up too easy. Find a different ISP for DSL that is used to dealing with Ma Bell or whatever. Incidentally, I run into provisioning errors all the time with SBC/at&t. The paperwork sometimes doesn't reflect reality and contradictions between the billing and what's actually installed are epidemic.

Run CAT5 over the fence. If she doesn't have an NAT router to share the connection, buy her one.

Dunno.

In addition to the CAT5 for internet, run 50ft of RG-6/u coax over the fence. You might need to install an isolation amplifier to prevent ground loops. At such short distances, wireless is not a great idea.

Run the wires.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.