Info abour speed with firewall.

Hi, I have a ADSL connssion and when I have add Kaspersky Hanti-Haker firewall my PC goes slower. Is it an impression or is it true? thanks

bye Adriano

Reply to
Adriano
Loading thread data ...

Well, any software that you install on the computer has the potential to slow the overall speed of the machine down if it's constantly running using cpu cycles slowing down other processes that may be running on the computer. If the personal FW is fending off probes and attacks, then not only is the FW slowing the machine down as it reacts but the O/S must react too as the PFW is running in conjunction with the PFW.

The way to circumvent the problem is to put a cheap NAT router in front of the machine and let it block the unsolicited scans and attacks and the PFW and the O/S do not have to react slowing the machine down.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

It's true.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

If that's your impression then it's probably true. Many of the software firewalls have the undesirable side effect of slowing down things like web browsing, especially if they have any kind of ad blocking or web filtering features. If so, turn those off and it might help. As others have mentioned, you might be best off with just a router, which puts no extra load on the PC at all.

Reply to
Kerodo

But when I used Windows SP2 firewall I did not have this problem. The problem is much more with Kaspersky firewall.

Reply to
Adriano

The XP FW may not have all the junk/bloat ware in it that will slow the machine down like this other personal FW you have running and nither does the NAT router slow the machine down as the NAT router is not running with the O/S.

BTW, both PFW(s) can be taken down by malware and can be attcked just like the O/S can be attacked as opposed to the NAT router that cannot be taken down by malware or attacked that easily.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Ok, then the solution is simple. Get rid of the Kaspersky firewall. If you're going to use a software firewall then at least use one that doesn't have a negative impact on performance (if that's possible).

Reply to
Kerodo

Then you have your solution.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Unfortunately, that's not what's causing his problem. I can't vouch for the Windows Firewall since I run Win2k, but I can't help but think it's got to be lighter on resources than any other software firewall too.

Reply to
Kerodo

Wouldn't the poster like to have the .10 % of $$$$ from the loser?

Reply to
Duane Arnold

You know he would.. :)

Reply to
Kerodo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.