Kaspersky firewall: every hour my firewall tells me about attack. Is it normal?

Hello, I have installed Kaspersky firewall and from a little time every hour my firewall tells me about Helkern and DDoS attack. It tells me these attacks have been rejected. I think firewall works fine but is it normal to have many, many attacks every day (30-40 attacks)? thanks

bye Adriano

Reply to
Adriano
Loading thread data ...

Please read the links below.

formatting link
formatting link
Wayne McGlinn Brisbane, Oz

Reply to
Wayne McGlinn

You can avoid these annoying notifications and protect your system better by installing a cheap router between your modem and your computer. This assumes your are running a broadband connection.

The router will block most attempts by script-kiddies, because it isn't a computer and therefore cannot respond to most requests. Even an obsolete router will offer good protection. These can be bought at closeout prices at computer and office supply stores for as little as $15. Mine cost me even less, though a promotion offered by my ISP.

You want to buy a router that does NOT have any wireless capabilities, because home wireless protocols are NOT secure. Or a friend may offer to give you an obsolete wireless router. Just disable all the wireless features. If you want to be extra careful, wrap the antennas in aluminum foil and ground them. Even if you did not properly disable the wireless features, the aluminum foil will prevent any wireless communication.

Configuring any firewall capabilities in the router can be confusing. Do the best you can, then test your setup on Steve Gibson's website,

formatting link

If you are skillful in configuring your hardware and software firewalls, your computer can be run in "stealth mode", meaning that people who scan thousands of Internet addresses won't get a response from your address and won't know a functioning computer is located there.

I still run BlackICE PC Protection and Kaspersky Anti-Hacker (they do different things). But with the cheap router installed, the software almost never sees any break in attempts. BlackICE does report and block other problems, such as suspicious java code and spyware, so I think it's worth using.

Before the router, BlackICE would report hundreds of break in attempts per day. With the router I may see just a couple of reports about malformed icons or suspicious java code. That's quite a difference! And since BlackICE does not have to respond to spurious attacks and block them, my underpowered old system runs better.

So get yourself a router, even if you use it for only one machine. If you someday have a second or third computer, the router will share your Internet connection and permit you to set up a simple home network. All easy and inexpensive to do!

Survivor @ Ground.Zero

Reply to
Survivor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.