firewall speed

Hi, this is probably a stupid question for most of you. I have an hardware firewall, a zyxell zywall 2 plus. My LAN goes at 1Gb speed. My router is 1Gb, all patch cords are 1Gb.. .and so on. Does the firewall speed affect my LAN to LAN speed? Does it affect my LAN to WAN speed?

thank you in advance

Reply to
Paolo
Loading thread data ...

It affects any connections made to the nic the firewall is monitoring.

Reply to
Bit Twister

Thank you for your kind answer. Just i need you to be more clear since i'm a newbie. :)

Thus if my firewall is a 10/100 it doesn't matter if all my net is at 1GB, am i right? I'll always go at 100 max speed. If the firewall only filters the traffic to and from the web, all my net will go at 1GB but my internet connection won't go over 100Mb. (and i suppose of course that this depends on my internet connection speed) And the lan speed won't be affected.

Thank you in advance!

Reply to
Paolo

I think I still hear you in two different conversations. In a nutshell:

Conversation 1: Your connection speed will be only be as high as your slowest device in the path to the internet.

You might have a 10/100 device. If it can only negotiate 10 mbs, then 10mbs is your highest speed.

Conversation 2: Firewall speed is processing time for processing packets. Hopefully packet speed does not impact Firewall speed.

Reply to
Bit Twister

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.