How to check for spyware?

Hi all,

From time to time, IMMEDIATELY after I use my PayPal account or go to eBay, I get a fishing emails pretending to be from PayPal or eBay and urging me to do you know what. I can see two possibilities:

1. I have some spy program sitting in my computer. I use Norton Antivirus, Norton Internet Security and do regular scans with Ad-Ware. ¿What other programs can I use to keep my computer clean?

1. Someone at my ISP was fishing. I say WAS because I just changed the provider. It's a moot point now, but I am curious if it is possible to do from ISP office?

TIA

SNTP

Reply to
SNTP
Loading thread data ...

You may wish to investigate Spybot Search & Destroy:

formatting link
As well as Microsoft AntiSpyware:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Worldwide United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294 U.S. Toll Free: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 Website:

formatting link

Reply to
BradReeseCom

If your on Paypal with the Browser your using, you may not even have been on the REAL stie, better find out some things Do a search and read on the Forums. I'm not suppose to say, but they are working on it and I use Firefox but had to go back to IE untill they fix it.

Reply to
Joe H

Because of Ebay/Paypal spyware, I guess I'm being left behind, because I haven't used either one in over 3 years.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

There are dozens of these circulating at any given time. I get them on machines that have never been to PayPal or Ebay, so it's probably just a coincidence.

One other possibility I've noticed is that certain people have loaded their Ebay webpage with responding graphics (web bugs that grab your address and send it to the originator.) You may have visited one of these sneaky bastard's eBay page.

Reply to
SGD

Which is the best anti-spyware?

snipped-for-privacy@w-manager.com

Reply to
dwangmai

I use Pest Patrol and Spy Sweeper in combo and together they can clean a machine very nicely. I've not seen one product do 100%.

I got an email today from 'ebay' saying that someone had attempted to login to my account unsuccessfully. A few things make this funny. #1 is that I've never opened an ebay account, EVER. #2 was that the attempt supposedly was from: IP address: 172.25.210.66 ISP Host: cache-66.proxy.aol.com. I love this one, the source address the most (for noob's look up RFC 1918). Naturally, if it were real, it's obviously possible to spoof the source, but this is rich man.

They just keep going and going and going....

Reply to
Munpe Q

Bad choice. Your IE may do other things that you won't like. If I type "

formatting link
" in my Firefox I will definitively end on paypal. Do not click on links in e-mails. That is not so hard and still no reason to go to IE where there are so many security flaws for many months and years that just wait to be exploited.

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Vogt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.