Problem sending emails

I have a problem with sending emails which I believe is caused by my Kerio 4 firewall.

I am using Kerio 4.1.2, together with Norton Antivirus 2002 with latest updates. For my email client I use Mozilla Thunderbird, but the problem also occurs with MS Outlook.

When I send an email it seems to go out, and Norton AV scans it - but then Norton cannot get it past the firewall and comes up with an error message.

I then have to retrieve the email from the "sent" folder and repost it. It _always_ succeeds the 2nd time.

When I disable Kerio I don't have this problem, which makes me suspect the firewall. I don't have the problem with short one line emails.

I do not suspect the firewall SMTP settings because these work okay the 2nd time round.

I also seem to have a similar problem with posting a newsgroup item like this, and in posting to web forums - these frequently need more than one go to succeed - but not every time like with email.

I have posted this problem to the Kerio site forum with no replies.

TIA Johnie.

Reply to
Johnie
Loading thread data ...

Does Kerio have the ability to utilize 'grey listing' so that in case the machine is compromised all initial outbound requests are blocked for the first time, but accepted to the same recipient after a retry? I don't know, I'm reaching on this one.

Reply to
Munpe Q

Nope... I've had a couple replies on the Kerio Forum :-

1. Kerio Firewall blocks first attempt to contact nameService
  2. Like many people we could not recommend Kerio PF to people who like Thunderbird. (Timeout problem)

Guess I'm just going to have to get sniffing with "Packetyzer" when I get a few hours spare.

Johnie.

Reply to
Johnie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.