HOW in the HELL did they FIND me?

Do note that is only the PROXY that will likely be blacklisted. My web site, itself, as of right now, is not in any filtering lists. Since I like to occasionally visit chat rooms, I don't want to be banned, because my proxy appeared in any public proxy lists, which is why I turned it off for a while. There were two proxies that were scanned, my Tor entry proxy, and another for the filtering software at the radio station, which turns out to have an open proxy I did not know about. I could see someone posting my public Tor entry proxy, since they could get that from the Web site, but how in the HELL could they find the port for my filtering proxy. Like I said, we ONLY block p*rn and gambling, all other sites are allowed. Since I did not have that proxy posted, anywhere, people scanning for proxies should NOT have been able to find it, as I keep it on port 9696. Since

9696 is not a port normally associated with proxies, one would THINK that any proxy would not be found by anyone scanning and IP ranges for proxies. The proxy came configured for port 8080, but I had to hack the code to change the port to something other than 8080,.since the Windows Media stream for my station uses that port. I had to change it to 9696, so it, and the filtering proxy, would not clash with each other. While the Tor entry proxy will get hundreds of hits if I turn it on, the filtering proxy has already been taken off the lists. When I turn that on for a few minutes, I don't see the hundreds of hits I had yesterday, so I know that particular port has been dropped from the proxy lists.

Now as for an IP address, I can change the address, since the server farm we use, gives us up to 16 of them, so that we can make all our machines go through the server farm. It will be just a matter of changing the IP, rebooting the machine, and then changing the settings in the domain registration to point to the new address. I have DHCP server software, which allows all our machines to use our main server (now in France), instead of our ISP's DHCP server. I just have is specify an IP address manually. SimpleDNS has that capability, where you don't have your use your ISP's DHCP server, to get on the net, and it is way better than any NAT device (as long as you have enough IPs in your subscription to make it work).

Reply to
Chilly8
Loading thread data ...

Again assumptions from your side. Wanna bet, if these are any better than the one about how to find a proxy?

Then see to it, that it is not accessible. If you can't control your equipment properly, don't blame anyone else or the unfairness of the universe or whatever.

Reply to
Jens Hoffmann

Plain gibberish. What do you want to say?

Reply to
Jens Hoffmann

X-No-Archive: Yes

Keeping my proxies turned off seems to be working. I periodically turn it on to see how many connections come in, and I got nothing on either HTTP proxy, and very little on the Socks proxy, so my server address is starting to dissapper from the proxy lists, which means that I will get removed from any commercial proxy blacklists I might have gotten on, soon after, when my proxy is tested, and they do not find anything there.

Reply to
Chilly8

You are doing IT like they do VooDoo.

It doesn't occur to you, that endusers are compiling public proxy lists into their own favorites, removing not really working proxies much faster than any blocker would do?

Secdondly: The endusers of open proxies do not use blocking lists to find open proxies, but public proxy lists.

So you are measuring at the wrong end of the causality chain.

Cheers, Jens

Reply to
Jens Hoffmann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.