CLI app - allow access?

ZA frquently tells me CLI Application (Command Line Interface) is trying to access the trusted zone and I don't know whether to allow it or not. Everything seems to be running OK without it. What sorts of apps would this usually refer to? A little research indicated it's related to Linux. Are some Windows apps built around Linux? I'm seeing the window now with only the System Config window*, Word, ZoneAlarm & Firefox open; in the tray LogMeIn is also enabled, there's my AV running (Avast) and a Status Monitor for my Canon multifunction.

*The one that comes up after rebooting when you've changed some startup items
Reply to
karlengel
Loading thread data ...

Then you should uninstall ZA. Which is generally a good idea if you want a working system.

Well, you should know. It's your system!

Well, your _should_ know...

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Not surprising you didn't want that response archived!

Reply to
karlengel

snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote on 10 Dec 2006 22:58:54 -0800:

Are you sure it's CLI Application, and not just cli.exe? cli.exe is part of the ATI Catalyst drivers. I'm guessing your "research" is flawed.

Dan

Reply to
Spack

Except that a response that dupes their post completely undoes the "X-no-archive: yes" header and why using that header is such a stupid idea that only newbies think is effective, or maybe they hope no one will respond to their post (and copy it in the reply).

Reply to
Vanguard

Is this the CLI application listed in Task Manager's Processes tab? Maybe you have ATI software installed for your video card.

Reply to
Vanguard

The poster is using ZA -- I'd suggest that their choice of software indicates a lack of research ability to begin with.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

DevilsPGD wrote on Mon, 11 Dec 2006 15:20:35 GMT:

Indeed. I guess it also explains why they believe it might be an XP application using Linux as it's core ...

Dan

Reply to
Spack

Not surprising that you're talking nonsense. If I didn't want my posting to appear on the internet, I wouldn't have posted it.

And Google isn't the only news2web gateway. Some other do ignore X-no-archive. And I don't mind. I just dare to make Google hurt itself (you know, after all, they really store everything, but just don't present it on the interface).

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Or Google is stupid for actually interpreting such a header and censoring their very own output, making themselves more unusable. D'oh, that's really stupid.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Yeah, as if coLinux ever got stable enough...

*SCNR*
Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Google just carried on the tradition from Deja News that they bought.

Reply to
Vanguard
[X-no-archive header]

Not every tradition makes sense.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Sebastian wrote on Mon, 11 Dec 2006 20:43:24 +0100:

coLinux is not a "Windows app built around Linux". It's not an application per se, it's an operating system environment. If you can point to an application that installs a Linux environment solely to run itself in, then fair enough, I will concede the point.

Dan

Reply to
Spack

The point is that the coLinux environment can provide network access for Linux through routing to the Windows' NDIS layer via a well-defined interface and a driver. Thus you can make a Linux application access Windows network functions, and therefore actually provide a situation as described.

At any rate, the *SCNR* should be clear enough. :-)

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

So why are YOU participating in that non-sensical tradition by using "X-no-archive: yes" in YOUR headers?

Reply to
Vanguard

Because it makes Google hurt themselves (which is fun), and it doesn't disturb otherwise?

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Since Google will run their scanner across ALL posts looking for that header and since auto-expire is a batch operation, you aren't hurting anyone by using the header. You just make yourself look foolish. Their expiration process will run whether you use the header or not.

Reply to
Vanguard

You just make yourself look foolish. Google will run their scan on ALL posts whether you use the header or not. Auto-expiration will occur whether you use the header or not. They aren't just going to look at posts with the header since obviously they have to look at all posts to see if the header were used. More likely is that they parse EVERY post on receipt to set an attribute for the post in their message store to indicate which posts will expire.

I suppose you think you spitting in the ocean will make a difference in the tide levels.

Reply to
Vanguard

You just make yourself look foolish, like the dufus in a fight that is losing the fight, can barely stand, and mutters past his bleeding lips at the victor, "Oh yeah, you thinks that hurts me, huh, huh." Google will parse EVERY post that it receives to check for the header and will set an attribute for that post to make it eligible in their auto-expiration process. I think it is 6 days that a no-archive post will hang around. Your piddly attempt to hurt Google is like you spitting in the ocean to raise the sea level. You aren't hurting anyone but yourself in making yourself look foolish. I suppose slapping a paddle into the ocean could in some miniscule way affect the tides but no one cares and no one will notice and everyone will just think you are a nut that is splashing around in the ocean.

Reply to
Vanguard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.