home networking question

I'm a total networking newbie.

Currently I just have 2 PCs connected through a cable modem router. I plan to add and host a few servers through my cable modem connection also, but how do I protect my PCs? What hardware/software do I need to do that?

Requirements:

• All Servers(win or linux) don't have access to any PCs through any ports.
  • All PCs can access servers through any ports.
  • All PCs can have total access to each other.
  • All servers can have total access to each other.

To balance ease and cost of doing this, I lean towards ease. Solution shall be fast and easy to setup, and doesn't cost alot. Thanks.

Reply to
dorrenchen
Loading thread data ...

Don't do it. If you are a newbie, by a bunch of books and learn about it. Running servers as newbie is just irresponsible. It will be only a matter of a few weeks until your servers are compromised. A few quick tips like install this etc. won't do the job. You must know what you are doing and understand it else it is highly insecure. If you want to run servers, get a hosting company do it and run only the applications on the servers you need. They know how to do it. (And even they have frequent security problems although it is their job).

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Vogt

If you are going to do that, dump your hardware router, and get an ICS/NAT Box with Tiny Personal Firewall, and get some proxy software to handle proxy services to the machines behind the network. The ICS box serves my 3-pc network quite well. Plus, with an ICS box using Tiny Firewall, you can block things you might not want to get to the PCs, that you cannot do with any hardware device.

Reply to
Charles Newman

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1110562958.968220.247120 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

I'll have to say it too. If you have to ask these questions, then you have a long way to go before attempting such a thing, otherwise, you're just hack bait. There are books and articles on Google and Dogpile.com about securing computers and computer setup and you need to do some serious reading and then think on what you're trying to do.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.