Newbie Cable Modem Home Network Question

Hi. I've been using a 56K dial-up Internet connection for a long time. I've finally decided to move on up to broadband cable modem. Our house has two computers that access the Internet, one belonging to me and one to my wife. I have a Pentium 4 running XP Home, and she has a Mac G3 notebook running OS X. Both have Ethernet cards built-in and available USB ports.

My goal is to subscribe to a cable modem service (comcast is all that's offered around here--DSL is not available), and use a wireless router home network to get the service to the two computers. I'm a total newbie at this. I sort of understand that I'll need to connect a cable modem to our cable line, connect a wireless router to the cable modem, and give each computer some sort of wireless adapter. And I'll need to buy firewire software. I'm also assuming that we can do this having just one ISP address as long as my wife and I don't access at the same time (not sure if that is true). That's the extent of my knowledge (or lack thereof). Can someone provide advice or point me to a good FAQ on the topic? I looked on CNET.com, but their Wirless Network 101 article is dated 2003. At the rate technology changes, I figure I should look up something more recent.

Thanks for any info!

Ken

Reply to
Ken
Loading thread data ...

I have three computers on my cable system, and all can access at the same time. The laptop accesses through a wireless router/switch, and the two desktops are ethernet wired. Why would you need firewire?

Setup is VERY simple, just follow the instructions on the router you buy.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

Start with a wireless broadband router. You hook the modem up to that. From that, you can hook up several wired computers (typically 4 for most consumer level routers), and several wireless computers.

Unless you move a computer/laptop around alot, or running wires is very difficult, I would avoid wireless where possible (this will save money, too). It's a big security hole. If you do want to use it, make certain both the router and the computer(s) have the latest firmware/software, and the latest encryption standards. Also, make certain to turn ON encryption and security on the router. I would strongly suggest getting a router where you can limit access to certain MAC addresses (each network card has a unique MAC address, which is different than an IP address.) This way, only YOUR equipment can access it. Also don't forget to rename the router's wireless name to something unique, but not directly traceable to you (like your name.) As it is, if you are in an urban area, you can probably already pick up several wireless connections from your neighbors!! Often, they are wide open and ANYBODY can connect.

You don't need Firewire for networking as both of your computer have ethernet. Just plug in the cable and you are basically set. XP is pretty smart and should connect up fine. I'm not as sure about the Mac. Most routers come with good instructions. You can usually download .PDF's of their manuals if you want to preview them before buying one.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

You are correct - but in addition - you all can access the internet at the same time. Also - I think you mean firewall software - not firewire. The NAT router provides a good level of protection, but that is really for inbound. If you want to control outbound - then a personal firewall is a good idea as well.

Check out the following:

Reply to
riggor9999

Always best to use compatible hardware from the same manufacturer if possible, but as long as they're all G or B or whatever, you should be ok.

Your cable company should probably do the hookup to the cable modem, then you can add the router in after they leave. You could wire one and go wirelss on the other as another option since most wireless routers also have a 4-port switch. You'll want to split the cable on entrance to the house and run the one tap to the cable modem and the other to any TVs with possibly another splitter of using a 1-4 or 1-8 on entrance instead of a 1-2. You don't want any TVs on the cable leg if at all possible.

Splitter ------- Computer Wired ------------------ Cable Modem ------ Router < ~~~~~~~ Computer Wireless

----------| ------------------ TV or splitter and more TVs | ------------------ TV ^ | House Entrance

There's not much to the hookup as you can see above - basically just a good quality splitter and a router with cable.

Reply to
$Bill

Oops. I meant to write "firewall." My PC is not near a cable outlet. Would it be worth it to pay to have a cable outlet added?

Also, is there a difference between the wireless router I would connect to the cable modem and the wireless router/switch I would connect to the laptop? Are these different products, or the same product used differently? Could you provide an example model of each (if they are different), so I can look it up and better understand the difference?

Thanks again!

Ken

Reply to
Ken

Reply to
BigJIm

Thanks. These links were helpful. At linksys, they have an especially good link to a slide show tutorial about how to configure a home network. That's at:

formatting link
You go there and pick the Introduction to Networking presentation.

- Ken

Reply to
Ken

Reply to
Neill Massello

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.