Shared printer very slow with Windows Firewall

My shared printer has been incredibly slow since I installed XP SP2 and Windows Firewall. Viewing the printer properties dialog from a client machine takes almost a minute, and the spooling is painfully slow.

My configuration:

-- 3 XP SP2 computers behind a SOHO firewall router

-- IP addresses via DHCP

-- Windows Firewall set to enable file and print sharing on all 3 computers

-- One of the PCs has a local printer that it shares out to my local network.

Printing from the PC with the local printer is fast. Printing from a client PC is agony.

Today, I tried disabling Windows Firewall on the PC with the printer. This instantly fixed the printing problem -- the client PCs were almost as fast as the PC with the local printer.

I enabled Windows Firewall again, went to the Advanced tab and turned on logging of dropped packets. When I tried printing from a client PC, I found that numerous TCP 135 packets were being received from the client PC and dropped. So, on the PC with the local printer, I used Windows Firewall to add an exception for TCP port 135, subnet only. Printing from the client PCs was fast again.

Can someone explain why I need this port open to share a printer? I believe that TCP 135 is the RPC Port Mapper, and is typically closed.

Reply to
jfrensen
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.