Firewall that does not require admin rights

Hi,

Does anyone know a personal firewall package that does not require administrative rights to be installed? (preferably a free one but at this stage any will do)

thank you heaps in advance!!!!!

Reply to
Ruslan Kogan
Loading thread data ...

There is a firewall that I ocassionaly like to recommend to my users that does not require any special priveleges, and I don't think I can remember the offical product name, but it's called something like Pullda Kablaut.

Reply to
Munpe Q

A firewall that does not require administrive rights to be installed does not require administrative rights to be deactivated or knocked out or manipulated. That is a really bad idea. It would be better to describe what you are up to and find a proper solution for the problems you have...

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Vogt

why not just ask for a car that doesn't use wheels?

DUH.

There is a REASON you need admin rights to install firewalls.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

Try Outpost. Mike

Reply to
Mike

I did. It won't install on any of my machines here without admin rights. Show me any firewall that doesen't need to write to anything under "C:\\windows" directory during the install, which is of course off limits to non admin users in XP pro default configs.

In fact MOST software needs admin rights to install for this very reason. Not to mention the fact that write access to half the registry is locked out for non admin users as well...

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

hello,

ok, here we go.

The reason you need administrative rights traditonially is that it accesses the tcp/ip stack which is at kernel level, the second being that service running on ports

Reply to
datacide

the reason i require a firewall that does not require admin rights to be installed is because i am not an admin on an organistaional computer......we do have firewalls, etc. protecting the corporate network however, i would like to know what sort of connections are being made to my PC.

the computer has a piece of software running on it called Timbuktu Pro......i beleive it is very similar to VNC. I just want to know when anyone is connecting to my PC.

thank you to everyone who responded properly to my question....expecially datacide...u taught me something interesting!!!

as for T. Sean Weintz's comment: "why not just ask for a car that doesn't use wheels?" YOU IDIOT!!!

Reply to
Ruslan Kogan

Look for ActivePorts or see if WhoIsConnected will work, otherwise give up.

Reply to
Munpe Q

Why do you ask for a firewall when you don't actually want a firewall? I know because you have seen some Personal Firewalls and noticed what they have done. But a firewall is a mean of security. It blocks and admits traffic from the outside to the inside (some say it does this in the opposite direction also). That the purpose of a firewall.

What you want is some monitoring or logging of connections to your computer. Timbuktu itself should give you already some means of monitoring connections. Look there first. If you don't find anything or you don't trust Timbuktu than you should look out for software that monitors network connectivity. Your abilities as non-admin are limited, however, because you cannot intercept network connections on your computer. But a series of "netstat" calls for a start does give you some idea what is actually possible to monitor without admin rights.

But again, this has absolutely nothing to do with firewalls.

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Vogt

It would also need to work with no write access to the system root path (ie: c:\\windows) directory.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.