Limit addtional computer to Internet access only

I have a wireless home network that I use so my laptop has access to the internet and a home network to access shared files and folders.

I want to add another computer but I want it to only access the internet and not my network to keep my files and folders private on my main computer and laptop.

Is there an easy way to do this without getting too complicated?

David Nice

Reply to
dnice
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Not unless that capability is built into the router.

Reply to
John Navas

Whatever operating system you're using on your computers probably requires a username and password to access (i.e.; "map") network shares. Use a different username and password on the added computer and don't map resources to either of the existing machines.

Reply to
Roby

" snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com" hath wroth:

Yes, but it's complicated. Some wireless routes (i.e. WRT54G) have a feature called "access point isolation" which really should be called "client isolation". It's primary purpose is to isolate laptop users in coffee shop and hot spot environments so that they don't "see" each other via wireless by preventing any bridging between wireless clients. It would do exactly what you want, but only for wireless connections.

My guess(tm) is that the alternative firmware for the WRT54G such as DD-WRT can be tweaked so that this feature can be extended to the ethernet ports. The problem is that I don't have the time or interest to try it. I'm not even sure it can be done.

Another messy and expensive way is to add a 2nd router in series with your existing router creating a "double NAT" type network. Computers behind the 2nd router can see the internet and also the computers behind the first router. Computers behind the first router, can't go from WAN -> LAN on the 2nd router and therefore can't see the computers behind the 2nd router.

A simple, but expensive way is to pay your ISP for a 2nd IP address. You will then have 2 routers, one for each IP address. Computers behind each router can't see to the other routers LAN side. Instant isolation (for a price). This is what I have in my office LAN. We have 5 IP addresses, 5 routers, 5 isolated companies, and no security issues.

Meanwhile, the easiest way is to password protect any open shares on your computers or better yet, or don't open any shares unless you need them, or better yet, just disable sharing.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

If you dont mind setting up a free software firewall (if you dont already have one) on the laptop and the pc already hooked up to the router, set the new computer to static on the lan (maybe you dont have to do that step, some routers have an option to reserve ip's for the pc's mac address) and just firewall that ip out of the other two pc's. I dont know that this is the best solution depending on how much time you want to spend goofing around, but its easy and its best of all, free.

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
dnice

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.