Firebox II installation software

Hello,

I purchased a used Watchguard Firebox II on ebay but I didn't receive the installation software CD. Now, I'm not able to set it up. Please, could someone tell me where can I download the setup utility fot this firewall. Watchguard didn't help me about this problem.

If someone could send it to me as attached file, I would appreciate it very much !!!!

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.it

Thanks

Pablo

Reply to
Pablo
Loading thread data ...

The software also requires a KEY - if you didn't get this from the seller you got screwed.

The key's, once you register with WatchGuard, cost $995 per year to maintain the software updates and licenses. At this time the FB-II, while still a great unit, is not supported by WG.

If someone gives you their key you will be lucky, I know I would never give mine out to anyone.

WatchGuard will help if you pay for the license.

Reply to
Leythos

What sort of box is the FB-II and what does $995 per year buy you? Just curious.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

OK, thanks for your explanation. I decided to modify it ...

I found this interesting page:

formatting link
so I'll make it work also without Watchguard software.

Pablo

Reply to
Pablo

The FB-II is a appliance that does all the same work as the FireBox III/1000, but it's just a little slower and the firmware has not been updated in almost a year.

$995 use to get you warranty replacement and the updated firmware and the web-blocker content subscription and a Key/Reg number. The unit supports unlimited site to site VPN's and inbound PPTP connections to it.

Reply to
Leythos

Cool option. I feel sorry that you got mislead on the ebay purchase, I see them sold without license/key all the time, and no mention that they wont be any good without them, but I can't support piracy and just provide you with mine.

Reply to
Leythos

I purchased the used Firebox II for my network at home where I'm using a Netgear FVS318 Firewall. I wanted just to do some experience with a more powerful Firewall.

Thanks again

Reply to
Pablo

I wish I could help you, they are great units. I've installed then in Nabisco, Anheuser Busch, Kellogg banks, hospitals, government offices, etc... They are old now, and not longer supported, but there are no holes in the newest (at the time) firmware they last made for them.

The difference between the FVS and any WatchGuard is that the WatchGuard is a real firewall, the FVS is almost a firewall (IMHO).

Reply to
Leythos

What do you think about Watchguard Firebox Soho 6 (it is the second firewall on my lan) ?

I found it's slower (booting time) than Netgear FVS318

bye

Reply to
Pablo

The SOHO 6tc (the one that does dedicated IPSec tunnels) is what we use in about 30 locations, small shops, limited network needs, but they want to connect inbound to their office remotely.

I've found the dedicated (manual) IPSec tunnels to work perfectly, the logging to a remote server works, the rules are simple to create and easy to do firmware updates.

They do not offer the SMTP or HTTP content filtering ability, but you can buy web-blocker service for them.

The thing I don't like about them, and others in their same range, is the limitation on the first-come number of IP's that it will allow to access it/out of the network.

They are completely different classes/types of devices.

Reply to
Leythos

Thanks, I see you have a very good knowledge about Firewalls. Congrats !!!

The last question, what do you think about m0n0wall Firewall

formatting link
is it a reliable solution ?

Reply to
Pablo

I don't know if it's a viable solution for YOUR network or not. I would not install it on a network that contained business data, not in a medical center, not in a government office, etc...

In a HOME, sure, not a problem, but I would also use a small computer and not hack apart the FB-II unit.

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.