Can someone send me the Watchguard Soho 6 firmware?

Hello. I have recently obtained a Watchguard Soho 6 and need the latest firmware. I find it annoying how their site wants you to fax stuff etc to them in order to just login to download the firmware. Could someone please send it to me, or give me a direct link for it?

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

thank you

Reply to
outz
Loading thread data ...

That's not going to happen. You have got to pay for the firmware. It's plain and simple.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

WatchGuard owners PAY for firmware updates, just like you would, and getting them if you have a valid account is simple and easy. I can't believe anyone would risk sending you the software for free.

Register the SOHO6, purchase a support contract, and then you can download all the firmware you want.

Reply to
Leythos

Reply to
outz

Hi outz,

I once had a WatchGuard 5, and was so lucky i was the technician that handled a few of those boxes for customers, that provided me with the possibilities to reg. one unit, run 1 y. reg. another and get another

1 year. I think dont mind companies earning money, but they are ripping people off. (Just my oppinion) Anyway their units are prices way too high, and you only get crappy 1y firmware support.

Do as i did, purchase a cheap computer or if u alreay own one, then locate IPCOP on the internet, as its one heck of a firewall distro. Much better than a Watchguard Soho will ever be anyway.

kind regards

Reply to
Enkil

Anyway, you don't change the firmware unless there is some kind of exploit of the firmware that forces you to update. I been using the same firmware on my WG SOHO 6 for the last couple of years. I don't have a contract with WG for support either, since the 90 day support warrantee ran out. If it's just for your home network and you're not doing high risk things like supporting a WEB server opening ports, then why bother with it.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

If you want something that you can use for home, and you don't mind the cost, the DFL-700 is now my favorite home firewall appliance.

Reply to
Leythos

everyone sending any email to this address will be blacklisted.

Thanks for the tip. I'll most likely end up doing something like that once I out grow the watchguard (only has a 10 user license) and with everything becoming internet enabled now it shouldnt take long.

Reply to
outz

There were just a few minor bugs I hoped was fixed in a later release. It is currently running firmware from 2002.

Reply to
outz

You know you can buy a 50 user license for the SOHO 6. That would be a good reason to upgrade. I would venture to guess that would be good if you had a family reunion at your house and everyone brought a laptop and wanted to get on the Internet instead of socializing. ;-)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

everyone sending any email to this address will be blacklisted.

Take a look at the Zyxel zywall range of firewalls. No user limit and no support contract needed to get firmware upgrades.

Reply to
Mike

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 21:50:05 GMT, Duane Arnold exploit of the firmware that forces you to update. I been using the same

I'm unfamiliar with the WatchGuard way of doing things, but besides fixes for exploits aren't there ever feature enhancements/additions?

Reply to
gray.wizard

I am going to throw out a suggestion to you & I do not advocate it & you could really hose your Soho 6 if you're not careful, but one can often find firmware releases for various routers/firewalls on the P2P networks like emule, gnutella, etc.

No guarantees you will find the latest version & no guarantee you'll receive a firmware file that hasn't been tampered with. If your router blows up you'll have a little red brick that does nothing.

Support contracts are often worth it, though. Some even cover the hardware with a next-day replacement guarantee if it goes t*ts up for whatever reason.

Check pricing...it may not be as expensive as you think.

Reply to
gray.wizard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.